October 18, 2017, 03:32:46 AM

Author Topic: Story guideline submission Rules  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Anonymous

• gold member
  • -nonexistent and 0% creative in names-
  • Respect: 0
Re: Story guideline submission Rules
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »
For some time, I thought the ninjas got you again, lol.

IMO, the reasons for Dario, Dmitrii, and Celia reappearing could be a bit more diverse/dynamic, transcending beyond merely "they escaped" for at least two of them.  I like Dmitrii's slippery nature, and think that justification is just fine...if I recall, though, doesn't Dario perish in the Somacula version of the ending?  If that is so, why not just use Canon-ending powerless Dario and make him beholden to Uber-Drac for his powers?  This allows him to keep some motivation for wanting to slip his leash, as well as provides a good founded reason for being there that builds upon what is considered official and authentic (i.e. that which is provided by IGA himself).  As for Celia, well, that would take some careful consideration...Graham as well.

Actually, in the game, the only way you can get the Somacula ending, also known as the "bad ending" you need to avoid the so-called "worst ending", where Dario perishes, so actually in the Somacula ending, Dario still lives, but he lost his fire powers, sealed away with Agni.

I recall one of Fou Lu's concerns was that having too many alternate timelines might add to the confusion.  While I don't disagree, I do think that recent comic book movies and shows (X-Men and the Flash, specifically, as well as Doctor Who) have made this sort of multiversal thinking mainstream--so, absolutely, we should and could use the alternate endings of some games to guide us in our storytelling endeavors.  Legend of Zelda did it; why not Castlevania?

Ah, yes, Legend of Zelda with its Decline of Hyrule, Adult and Child Link, nice work Ocarina of Time.

(And no, I'm not from 4chan! Or from the textboard)

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 02:50:44 PM »
For some time, I thought the ninjas got you again, lol.

Actually, in the game, the only way you can get the Somacula ending, also known as the "bad ending" you need to avoid the so-called "worst ending", where Dario perishes, so actually in the Somacula ending, Dario still lives, but he lost his fire powers, sealed away with Agni.

Ah, yes, Legend of Zelda with its Decline of Hyrule, Adult and Child Link, nice work Ocarina of Time.

LOL, yeah, they are a tenacious bunch.  Thankfully, I've watched several Chuck Norris films in my time...so that's...uh...something I just said, haha.

Hmm.  Okay.  I vaguely recall that.  It's been awhile since I've played DoS, and so my memory is quite fuzzy.  So, I take it Dario survives and escapes in both the good and bad endings?  If that's the case, there are two "Dario's alive" endings from which to pull, both where he loses his powers (presumably).  So, I guess my question is if he lost his powers, how does he still have his powers?

The Mandela Effect is making the idea of multiple timelines/universes more mainstream, too, so that's great for us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:59:31 PM by Morrison »

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
IMO, the reasons for Dario, Dmitrii, and Celia reappearing could be a bit more diverse/dynamic, transcending beyond merely "they escaped" for at least two of them.  I like Dmitrii's slippery nature, and think that justification is just fine...if I recall, though, doesn't Dario perish in the Somacula version of the ending?  If that is so, why not just use Canon-ending powerless Dario and make him beholden to Uber-Drac for his powers?  This allows him to keep some motivation for wanting to slip his leash, as well as provides a good founded reason for being there that builds upon what is considered official and authentic (i.e. that which is provided by IGA himself).  As for Celia, well, that would take some careful consideration...Graham as well.

But isn't being near powerless and then Dracula giving him powers boss Dario's motivation? The reason why it was discussed for Dario to be resident from Somacula's universe was to make him a bit different from each other, motivation of getting revenge on Soma is still there (Though to very different degrees, since Somacula's universe Dario will want to kill Soma not just because he stole most of his powers, but also stole the title of the dark lord), but one has even more power than before to get said revenge, while the other doesn't have such a convenient power up and has to rely on other things, namely the weapons.

I recall one of Fou Lu's concerns was that having too many alternate timelines might add to the confusion.  While I don't disagree, I do think that recent comic book movies and shows (X-Men and the Flash, specifically, as well as Doctor Who) have made this sort of multiversal thinking mainstream--so, absolutely, we should and could use the alternate endings of some games to guide us in our storytelling endeavors.  Legend of Zelda did it; why not Castlevania?

Well, alternate timelines just shouldn't be created when there's no need, the biggest reason why it was suggested for player versions of Dario, Dmitrii and Celia to be from Somacula's universe was to give more exposition to it, otherwise it's just "Somacula won and started to kill everyone".

Hmm.  Okay.  I vaguely recall that.  It's been awhile since I've played DoS, and so my memory is quite fuzzy.  So, I take it Dario survives and escapes in both the good and bad endings?  If that's the case, there are two "Dario's alive" endings from which to pull, both where he loses his powers (presumably).  So, I guess my question is if he lost his powers, how does he still have his powers?

It's a small retcon to make it so that he lost most of his powers, not all of it, so he still has them, just so much weaker (Similar retcon to how player version of Stella and Loretta are vampires once again here, because Sanctuary didn't work completely), which is why he's using guns as a playable character alongside his fire attacks, it's also a decent way to make him fight himself and not be just a doppelganger, could be said that More powerful Dmitrii was too dependant on his powers and nothing else, which could be why he'd lose this fight.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:25:37 PM by Lukmendes »

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 07:20:34 PM »
So, more small retcons and something that will be exceedingly difficult to communicate organically?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.  Because the more retcons there are, and the more timelines that branch off from the canon timeline, the more in the way of explanation will need to be produced so the player isn't completely in the dark.  Plans for that?

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
Not like there are many of those around here, just that Sanctuary didn't work completely, and if accepted, Dario's powers not being completely gone, and both can easily be mentioned on the character's prologues, or in the sisters' boss version case, their boss battle dialogues.

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
I think honestly anything can be accepted if it works in execution.  Okay, so I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but let's see it in practice.  Do you have a draft in mind?