October 18, 2017, 03:28:32 AM

Author Topic: New Boss Moveset Discussion  (Read 7427 times)

Offline FinnishFlame

• Oikeutettu Satunnaisuuden
  • Respect: +6
Re: New Boss Moveset Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
Does this mean theres a possibility that certain damage types will be created? We don't really have much of water and plant, and if I recall correctly (which is unlikely) Holy water does light damage instead of water. I'm not sure though, because Resulka gets healed by it.

"Always Alert." "Not As Alert As I Once Was."

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
Does this mean theres a possibility that certain damage types will be created? We don't really have much of water and plant, and if I recall correctly (which is unlikely) Holy water does light damage instead of water. I'm not sure though, because Resulka gets healed by it.

Rusalka probably has some work around to make her be healed by Holy Water stuff and Frog's water jet, but it deals holy + magic against everything else.

Anyway, adding new elements probably wasn't a problem before, thing is that like, 3 characters on the game would have an attack with a different element, (Only player Death deals darkness damage, but far more bosses have darkness), so adding more isn't really necessary.

Offline Medlin

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:58 PM »
There is no water element in character screen. Probably water works not like element but something else.

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:37 PM »
it's possible, yeah. i coded it with up to 9 elements in mind. 10 slots, 0-9, where 0 is element-less, 1-9 are usable elemental slots. anything above that in 10-19 range deals magical, then 20-29 unique, with the same elements as above.

only 5 are used, but 4 more can be easily added, and the new system will automatically take them in for everything, like defense, hit effect and such.

no element, fire, ice, lightning, holy, dark, empty, empty, empty, empty.

the hit can also be disabled if the element value is set to -1, which makes the character miss, not hit at all.

the elements should probably be more common though. just 1 character using it isn't that great. plant for dmitri or wind for stella are good examples of that. they're the only ones who would use those unique elements.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:24:41 PM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »
+1
the elements should probably be more common though. just 1 character using it isn't that great. plant for dmitri or wind for stella are good examples of that. they're the only ones who would use those unique elements.

Wind would probably be the most common of those new elements, Charlotte's Tempest could become wind too, and I guess Gale Force? Soma's Valmanway as well (It's description of SotN says something about hitting like wind).

With this, 3 characters could have it, make it 5 by giving a wind attack to Carrie and Yoko since they lack moves, not really weird to give them that since Fernandez clan is good with elements, Juste even had a Wind book.

Out of the 7 elements we have now, the rarest one besides darkness is thunder, "only" 14 characters have it, if we count unique damage too then it's even more rare, only 4 characters have it (Though it's because of a glitch, since 8 characters should have it), so at least in Wind's case, it wouldn't be that bad to put it, plant would really be too rare, so it should keep do physical damage if a character gets plant type damage.

Edit: Should go without saying, but I really think earth element should be out of the question to be added, not because of rareness or anything, it's just weird to put an element that's basicaly Physical damage, but counting it as another element for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:05:55 AM by Lukmendes »

Offline FinnishFlame

• Oikeutettu Satunnaisuuden
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
I was wondering if perhaps any of the yet-to-be characters could have a plant-type move. Is there anything from Rusty's game that could count as a plant-type move?
"Always Alert." "Not As Alert As I Once Was."

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 12:47:37 AM »
I was wondering if perhaps any of the yet-to-be characters could have a plant-type move. Is there anything from Rusty's game that could count as a plant-type move?

Her moveset is basicaly Physical and Magic, guess you can say she has Holy too.

Plant element is rare even within Castlevania itself, only two characters had plant-type damage, Soma had it, but his moveset is complete now, and he's powerful enough as he is, he doesn't need anything else, Nathan has it too, which I guess if he received it could replace that shitty qcf attack, but making a new element for only two characters (One player and one boss who could become a player) seems unnecessary.

Out of the characters on the "list of shit i'll add", I don't see anyone who'd have it, both players and bosses, maybe Hagane has it? I know absolutely nothing about that game, so I won't say anything about this one.

Edit: Actualy, it could potentialy have another character with Plant element, recently I suggested for Master Skeleton to have his last input be a move from Skeleton Farmer, that would bring a total of 3 characters with it at most (That's assuming Nathan's qcf is replaced, and the suggestion is accepted).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:15:50 AM by Lukmendes »

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »
wouldn't plant basically be non elemental too though? what does the plant attack type do other than stabbing the enemy?
Dracula was here

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:19 AM »
wouldn't plant basically be non elemental too though? what does the plant attack type do other than stabbing the enemy?

As far as I remember, the plants attacks in CV games, their uniqueness are: Multiplying (Une, but that's what the enemy Une does, not the one Soma uses), Poison (Don't know which once, but I'm pretty sure there was one which could do that), and getting stuck in an enemy and doing multi hits (Dryad), first one, if it works like an enemy Une then it'd help against grounded enemies, though each Une would need to have HP to avoid silly really damaging situations, or just be around for a while, second one, I don't know if it'd affect bosses, third one sounds similar to what some thunder attacks do, but it would actualy be usable against movement heavy opponents, in fact, it'd probably be useful against everything lol.

There's also Alura Une which is basicaly a familiar which keeps attacking enemies, but it definitely shouldn't work like in DoS and force the character to stay still, that would horribly unless Alura Une was hitting harder than Hanz' Grand Cross, or, something around that lol.

Also, would status attacks like Poison and Curse even affect bosses?

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 04:42:31 AM »
Also, would status attacks like Poison and Curse even affect bosses?
i made it possible just now. the third value (hundreds) in the new system will carry a poison/curse/other possible status info, so it's now possible to poison and curse bosses.

now i need to fix that, there's a ton of small bugs with them having status effects.

lol.
Dracula was here

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
i made it possible just now. the third value (hundreds) in the new system will carry a poison/curse/other possible status info, so it's now possible to poison and curse bosses.

now i need to fix that, there's a ton of small bugs with them having status effects.

lol.

Now I'm wondering how Curse status would affect a boss, would it make them lose MP like it works in some Metroidvanias? If so, it'd be useless against many bosses, and using against Richter would be a bad idea too... But at least it could stop Great Werewolf, Paranoia and Medusa from using their most dangerous attacks, I guess it'd be usable against Albus too, but I'm not sure.

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
it eats their mp and reduces their attack power by half.
Dracula was here

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
Wind would probably be the most common of those new elements, Charlotte's Tempest could become wind too, and I guess Gale Force? Soma's Valmanway as well (It's description of SotN says something about hitting like wind).

With this, 3 characters could have it, make it 5 by giving a wind attack to Carrie and Yoko since they lack moves, not really weird to give them that since Fernandez clan is good with elements, Juste even had a Wind book.

If Royce were ever added, he could use Wind as well (I still need to form a proper response to that post you made in my thread, lol). Carrie, Yoko, and eventually Sypha could have that wind spell from Judgment. Nathan also has access to some Wind attacks - the katana was originally a wind element move, but I know it does something else now. Finally, the game Ronald's sprites are from has a few other Fry Kids in different colors, including a green one which could be Wind.

For water, Ronald's also got a light blue Fry Kid. Kale, if he were ever added, could conceivably have a water move as well.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
it eats their mp and reduces their attack power by half.

But does it only last for a small ammount of time? Or is it planned to waste a lot of MP? Because that could be seriously overpowered by just making Richter, the boss with pretty strong combos, do half damage for a long time.

Also, it only affects the bosses themselves right? I'm assuming familiars wouldn't be affected, unless if it was thrown directly at them.

If Royce were ever added, he could use Wind as well (I still need to form a proper response to that post you made in my thread, lol).

By the way, I thought more about, and, Rebecca/Rhea would be the worst additions from there, their movesets are pretty empty, and they really look like what Montano would be without most of his good stuff, which, would make them really boring to be honest.

They can work without zoning as I said in that thread, but they'd really need to overcompensate in melee, and would need a more varied moveset, but if what I plan is accepted, they wouldn't really have anyone too similar to them, since they'd be the only characters without zoning.

Carrie, Yoko, and eventually Sypha could have that wind spell from Judgment.

What does it look like?

Nathan also has access to some Wind attacks - the katana was originally a wind element move, but I know it does something else now.[/quote]

It honestly could go back to doing Wind damage instead of all of those elements, or it would have Wind element as the first one to be used.

Finally, the game Ronald's sprites are from has a few other Fry Kids in different colors, including a green one which could be Wind.

Ronald already has too many Fry Kids occupying the sub weapons slots, lol, but I guess he could throw one with each attack button, making him be able to throw two, that way he'd have only two slots with Fry kids.

For water, Ronald's also got a light blue Fry Kid. Kale, if he were ever added, could conceivably have a water move as well.

Again, too many Fry Kids, lol.

I don't really see a lot of uses for that water thing Kale can transform into, unless he transforms only to do that damage, or maybe could also have the ability to also turn into a water puddle which is either ivulnerable to everything, or just has a really low hitbox that Frog would be jealous of.

Aside from that, I can only really see water element also being given to Holy Water/Hydro storm, which means that Water element would be spread among almost half of the cast, but similar to fire element, it'd be spread on a move that works the same way which many characters have (Fire element's equivalent of this is the generic whip user's f,f attack).

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
By the way, I thought more about, and, Rebecca/Rhea would be the worst additions from there, their movesets are pretty empty, and they really look like what Montano would be without most of his good stuff, which, would make them really boring to be honest.

They can work without zoning as I said in that thread, but they'd really need to overcompensate in melee, and would need a more varied moveset, but if what I plan is accepted, they wouldn't really have anyone too similar to them, since they'd be the only characters without zoning.

I kind of agree, I had a hard time coming up with a movelist for them. But I know there was some interest, so I tried to do a good job.

What does it look like?

Actually, having looked it up just now, it's Charlotte's Gale Force. It was a subweapon that a few characters could use in Judgment.

I don't really see a lot of uses for that water thing Kale can transform into, unless he transforms only to do that damage, or maybe could also have the ability to also turn into a water puddle which is either ivulnerable to everything, or just has a really low hitbox that Frog would be jealous of.

Yeah, the water thing really sucks to be honest. Unless there were some significant changes to it, like you said.