October 19, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

Author Topic: Just got into this game, and LOVE IT! Some questions on music though  (Read 413 times)

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: 0
Hey, just wanted to say this is an absolutely amazing fangame. The way you've made Mugen into something that's very much not a traditional 2D fighter is nothing short of impressive. That said? I am curious about a few things.

Some of the music choices for certain characters don't seem fitting. I know that character files contain the music as wavs, so changing them out is probably less than easy, but would any way to do this be possible in the future? I can think of at least a few characters who I'd prefer to have different music than what they have now. Among them...

Carmilla: Bloody Tears (Castlevania Judgment version, because I just want SOMEONE to have Bloody Tears. Even if it's not what normally plays when you fight her)

Yoko Fernandez: Aquarius (Castlevania Harmony of Despair version. It's pretty much her official theme in that). Just a personal pref, I love Aquarius.

Alucard: Pitiful Scion (From Castlevania Harmony of Despair, more or less his official theme in that). I feel like his existing theme takes too long to get into the recognizable part. That intro is WAY too long.

I mean, it's not the end of the world that the songs aren't what I like, considering it's
A) Not my game
B) Pretty sure changing out music on the user end isn't possible due to the way resources are encrypted

It's more or less just idle curiosity at this point.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
Re: Just got into this game, and LOVE IT! Some questions on music though
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
Carmilla: Bloody Tears (Castlevania Judgment version, because I just want SOMEONE to have Bloody Tears. Even if it's not what normally plays when you fight her)

But Big Battle is the music which plays when you fight Carmilla back in CotM, and this is CotM Carmila, plus Judgement's Bloody Tears is not fitting for a boss fight (Hell, it's not even fitting to give that music to Carmilla, that was a weird decision they made lol).

Yoko Fernandez: Aquarius (Castlevania Harmony of Despair version. It's pretty much her official theme in that). Just a personal pref, I love Aquarius.

Aquarius is likely going to be Sypha's theme since it's her theme in Judgement.

B) Pretty sure changing out music on the user end isn't possible due to the way resources are encrypted

Don't see why changing musics would be that much of a problem, considering what Serio can do with this game, lol, either way, Serio added 2 musics back in the beginning of the 0.6 version, which changed the boss themes of two bosses who were in the game for a long time and already had specific musics, and recently Dracula9 remade one of his musics and remade Dario's/Dmitrii's theme, and it's likely Serio will change them, so it's not like changing them is a problem.

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:55 PM »
I'll admit another track that seemed off to me was Dracula's 2nd phase. I know it's from Devil May Cry, which certainly is a great game, but it feels out of place in Castlevania. What about Black Knight from Castlevania The Arcade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJflqFTZ2_A

I'd say it fits the 'big' form of Dracula pretty well.

I'm just a sucker for the arcade soundtrack in general though. I also like the Dance of Illusions arrangement on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grFdcZqPusw

Also, my comment on changing music being difficult was more from the perspective of an end user, versus the coder. All the resources of this game are encrypted (which I can respect since Serio's trying to protect his work) which means a general user can't just change out the music each character uses.

Now, if a way to do that while keeping Serio's work protect was possible, that'd be great.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:21:52 PM by RetroNutcase »

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
I'll admit another track that seemed off to me was Dracula's 2nd phase. I know it's from Devil May Cry, which certainly is a great game, but it feels out of place in Castlevania. What about Black Knight from Castlevania The Arcade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJflqFTZ2_A

I'd say it fits the 'big' form of Dracula pretty well.

In my opinion, it would be more fitting to use a remix of Proof of blood if Mundus' theme were to not be used anymore.

I'm just a sucker for the arcade soundtrack in general though. I also like the Dance of Illusions arrangement on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grFdcZqPusw

That one will be used for Somacula.

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
Proof of Blood? That's fair since it is the official theme of that form. Someone did do a fairly nice arrangement of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GG4h977aJU

Also, using the arcade version of Dance of Illusions for Dark Soma? I approve <3.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
Proof of Blood? That's fair since it is the official theme of that form. Someone did do a fairly nice arrangement of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GG4h977aJU

Reminds me someone posted a remix of it years ago:

http://serio.piiym.net/cvbla/board/index.php?topic=578.msg6093#msg6093

Though the transition on that one was... Off, just felt weird, it does sound good even with that though.

Edit: Also what the hell, Mad Forest is Sypha's theme in Judgement, not Aquarius, there isn't even a version of Aquarius in Judgement, dunno how I mixed those two lol.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:56:01 PM by Lukmendes »

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
Yeah, Mad Forest was Sypha's theme in judgment and it was actually a pretty good rendition. The art may have been bad in that game but the music was spot on for the most part.

Offline Anonymous

• gold member
  • -nonexistent and 0% creative in names-
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »
Yeah, Mad Forest was Sypha's theme in judgment and it was actually a pretty good rendition. The art may have been bad in that game but the music was spot on for the most part.

Agreed.

Pretty much most of the denizens of the forum had wanted to replace the DMC theme in Drac's second form, but not a fitting has been found. Proof of blood is being used by Hugh, at least a remix of it and sharing a theme for a final boss is frowned upon. Some suggestions were in fact CV Arcade Black Night or CoD Drac's second form's theme. Forgot why they weren't accepted though.

(And no, I'm not from 4chan! Or from the textboard)

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Agreed.

Pretty much most of the denizens of the forum had wanted to replace the DMC theme in Drac's second form, but not a fitting has been found. Proof of blood is being used by Hugh, at least a remix of it and sharing a theme for a final boss is frowned upon. Some suggestions were in fact CV Arcade Black Night or CoD Drac's second form's theme. Forgot why they weren't accepted though.

If Proof of Blood isn't an option, then second form Dracula's theme from CoD seems like the next best option.

Never understood why the hell using remixes of the same music, which sound different is a problem though, you can't for example compare Poison Mind from The Arcade with the DXC version or even the original, very different "feel" with all 3 of them, and it's weird Somacula will be the sole rule breaker when other musics could be used for him.

Then again, maybe Serio does that to avoid neglecting other musics, after all, by repeating musics then every boss would more or less have their own themes, but by not doing so we end up remixing or trying to find others, like the remixes of musics from Christopher games, Bloodlines, AoS, which I found and posted on the music suggestion thread.

general forums