December 12, 2017, 09:53:26 PM

Author Topic: Question: What does Curse actually do in Arcade Mode?  (Read 390 times)

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: 0
Question: What does Curse actually do in Arcade Mode?
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
From what I can tell, enemies basically have unlimited MP as the gauge fills and empties as needed. So what point does Cursing your enemies even have in arcade mode?

Offline Dev Anj

• i'm a llama.
Re: Question: What does Curse actually do in Arcade Mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
From what I've seen, Curse works on some very specific enemies. The enemies vulnerable to it do reduced damage and have their MP drain faster, limiting how many attacks they can do. Ask Lukmendes more though, he knows this much better than me!

Offline Anonymous

• gold member
  • -nonexistent and 0% creative in names-
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »
The player curse drains the MP from enemies, but it doesn't randomly fill up. It fills up on every attack the boss makes. However, some bosses require a full MP bar to do some attacks. For example, Paranoia requires full MP to enter the mirror, Medusa to spawn the heads, and so on. If you keep cursing them, you in a way  Draining MP that regenerates in about 4 attacks in Nightmare, might seem pointless, but it actually gives an advantage. Another thing curse does, and note, it affects all bosses so far, it halves all damage they do while it lasts.

If you curse Paranoia, he will be delayed from entering the mirror, giving you time to damage him, if you curse Stella, she will do less of the crescent moon attacks, meaning you can avoid them easier and not get overwhelmed. The clearest advantage would be against boss Richter, since he uses MP to use that dash which knocks you to a wall, and the curse halves that damage as well. Also moves that curse tend to be cheaper than their counterparts (Grant is exceptional at this since his curse is namely his qcf+A/C, and quite spammable), so that you can keep cursing them, so that they take longer to reach full MP. Also Albus's item crash curses as well and it tracks the boss, while the curse lasting the longest in the game.

TL;DR Some bosses need MP or a full MP bar to do certain attacks, curse can momentarily prevent them from doing those attacks, while halving the damage they deal to you. At the same time, curse moves are relatively quick to do and a bit cheaper.

(And no, I'm not from 4chan! Or from the textboard)

Offline RetroNutcase

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
Huh, I see...Thanks for all the clarification there.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
The clearest advantage would be against boss Richter, since he uses MP to use that dash which knocks you to a wall, and the curse halves that damage as well.

Against Richter it's a double edged sword at best, if his MP reaches 0 it's harder to attack him because he won't use whip rush anymore, and attacking him when he's in recovery during the whip rush is generaly the best opportunity, you also won't be able to leave the corner so easily because he'll super jump to counter your super jump, plus it's even more dangerous on phase 2 to not be able to leave the corner since curse doesn't stop the heart meter from increasing.