October 19, 2017, 07:55:59 PM

Author Topic: Rasgar's character thread  (Read 10839 times)

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
Rasgar's character thread
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
It occurred to me that I'm always making a bunch of topics for stuff about new characters, and maybe it would be best if I made one thread to keep everything in. I figure if I make any other themes for characters, like I plan to do at some point, I'll post them here instead of making a new thread for it.

Here's a link to all the cellphone games related to these characters that I've translated: Translated
Currently includes:
-Demon Hunter Legend 1 (Royce, script is in a txt file)
-Demon Hunter Legend 2 (Royce)
-Demon Hunter Legend 3 (Montano)
-Demon Hunting Master - Invincible Heroine (Rhea, dialogue script is in a txt file)
-Vampire Hunter (James)

I'll also put up some ideas for movelists.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:47:28 PM by rasgar »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
Re: Rasgar's character thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
+1
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Royce: I ran out of attachment space on the first post, so I'll stick this here. These are a few sprite edits made by Frikman to fill in some of the gaps for animations Royce is missing. It includes crouching attacks (though not one for spear/rapier style) as well as gethits for air and crouching.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:35:33 PM by rasgar »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
+1
I'll use this last one for stage ideas.

Fulosa's Room (DHL3) - For Montano and Sisyphus, based on the final boss room. I made this a while back on the text board, stage theme suggested by CyberDragon. The pillars and platforms (aside from the pillars on the far left and right, which are the walls.) are intended to be part of the background, not solid obstructions or floors. The one ledge on the far left can act as a platform if you want, though. Parallax scrolling background, and if there's any BG outside of the layer I have it would be black. I included sprites for the portal just in case, as this room would have Brauner-style entry where the player is teleported into the room.

I had considered making a stage based on the town where you start in DHL3 so that Montano and Sisyphus could each have their own stage, but I don't know if that's necessary.

Meeting Place (SoD) - For Kale, based on the place where he first met Lydia as shown in the ending. Best name I could come up with, and it seems the most fitting for Kale. I had to make some modifications to it because the floor wasn't flat, I hope I did alright. I wasn't able to rip the raw tiles of the ground and tress and stuff for some reason. The three background layers each scroll at a different speeds, as I imagine is shown by the different widths. As you might be able to see, the farthest back layer isn't quite tall enough for the stage, which I imagine is because of the dimensions of the cellphone screen not allowing you to see the tops of the trees, so it's about as tall as it needs to be because the layer can move when the "camera" scrolls up. As for how that space can be filled... I guess it could be filled with the top color of the BG layer (the darkest orange shade of the sky).

Chapel (DHL1) - For Royce, Maria (purple-haired succubus), and James, based on the final area where you fight Maria and James, more specifically the boss room where James is fought. Unfortunately the in-game name is just "Chapel", and I can't think of anything more creative to call it. It seems like the most fitting stage to have for them, although I sort of fear that it might look too much like a stage or two that's already in the game (say, the place where you fight the Dullahan). Let me know if there's a better option for a stage for these characters.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:01:14 PM by rasgar »

Offline VictorBorAng

• Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
I would love to play with the guy in your signature... Oh and the others too

Offline UBerserker

• gold member
  • Spada†leggendaria
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
Rebecca's my top pick

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are the names of the games Rhea and Rebecca hail from again? Mostly for my personal sprite archiving (i.e. spriter/ripper_game_character_other). :3

I believe Serio would want an effect-less sheet of Rebecca, or the tiles, short of you actually doing all that work. Otherwise, looks nice so far. Also, if you ever run out of space for attachments in the posts you've reserved, you may want to throw up an open Dropbox folder (sometime in the future). :T
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are the names of the games Rhea and Rebecca hail from again? Mostly for my personal sprite archiving (i.e. spriter/ripper_game_character_other). :3

Here's the weird thing - I've found two different versions of Rhea's game that appear to be the exact same thing, with the exception of the names and the title screens. The first one I found (and passed around here, I think) has a blue-haired woman in an armor-bra on the title screen (that never appears anywhere in the game), while the second one has a castle with a broken bridge. The first one is called "????-????" (which translates to something like "Naked Witch - Let the Right One In"), while the second is called "????-????"  (which translates to something like "Demon Hunting Master - Invincible Heroine"). However, deep in the files where I found the game script, they both display the second name, leading me to believe it's the original name (and I'm more partial to that one anyways). So what does that make the first one, a pirate? I don't know. I have seen .jars of the DHL games where the title screen has been replaced with pictures from Castlevania, so maybe someone takes these games and modifies them to make people think it's a different game, or draw more attention to it. Anyways, long story short, take your pick, I guess, but I think I'll be going with the second one. Feel free to try your hand at translating the names, though (although ???? really is the name of the Chinese version of the movie "Let the Right One In", oddly enough).

Rebecca's game is called ??-?????, which my translation calls "Death - Demon Huntress". Makes me wonder if Rebecca is some sort of manifestation of Death, like Sisyphus.

I believe Serio would want an effect-less sheet of Rebecca, or the tiles, short of you actually doing all that work. Otherwise, looks nice so far. Also, if you ever run out of space for attachments in the posts you've reserved, you may want to throw up an open Dropbox folder (sometime in the future). :T

Don't worry, I'm going to make an effect-less sheet, the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I didn't know if anyone cared about Rebecca. It's not going to be hard at all, I can use the same method I did with Rhea. I figured out how to extract the graphics and replace them with blank ones so that I can easily take screenshots with no effects in the way.

Offline hellwolf7

• too lazy to write
  • Respect: -49
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
these characters look awesome,i really look forward to see them implemented in the game

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:28 AM »
I've made a few updates - Rebecca's no effect sheet is finished, I added James, and I made some small tweaks to Kale's and Royce's movesets after playing their games again to re-familiarize myself with their moves.

Offline w0onZa

• Kinda sucked using words.. augh.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
rasgar, just a request but do you know the storyline of those character you posted? if you do, can you like refer me where i could read their stories? thanks and i'm sorry since i couldn't read chinese i once played royce's game in the phone but i can't understand it though...
"Gonna add some things before done..."
"Seeking a Reason for Existence"

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
I'm in the process of translating them all, but it takes a while. I can't read Chinese at all, and so I have to find where the dialogue text is stored in the game data, copy and paste it into Google translate, and then try to make some logical sense of the results. Currently I'm working on Rhea's game.

I thought I'd posted them before, but so far I've translated DHL1-3 (no plans to do 4 since the Android version exists, and that's in English already). In 1, I couldn't find where the text was in the game data, so I had to take screenshots of the text boxes and run them through an OCR instead. So my translated story is in a txt file instead of being in the game.

Anyways, I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I'm going to edit my first post to include a zip file with all the games I've translated.

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
May i add a character to your thread (if that's ok) or shall i create a separate thread?
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
Uh, I guess you can post about it here if you really want to. Seems like it might make more sense to post elsewhere, but this is fine. Plus, now I'm curious as to who it might be.

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »
Seems like it might make more sense to post elsewhere, but this is fine.

I've created my own thread. Thinking back on it, it was rather rude of me to even ask. Sorry

Plus, now I'm curious as to who it might be.

I originally posted the idea ages ago when i first joined up on the fourms but it kinda got buried in the general discussion thread. I've also given it some good thought on the moves as well.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
I've created my own thread. Thinking back on it, it was rather rude of me to even ask. Sorry

No no no, I really hope I didn't come off that way. It wasn't rude at all. It's just that this thread is specifically for characters I've suggested rather than suggestions in general, and I figure you can promote your character(s) better than I can. Plus you can have them in the first post.