December 12, 2017, 09:53:53 PM

Author Topic: plans for the future  (Read 4949 times)

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
plans for the future
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
+2
so, as some people know, i'm planning to get rid of win and 1.0 versions of the exe soon. once that happens, 1.1 will be the only way to run this game. i'm still waiting for elecbyte to release a "final" version of 1.1, which other than 30 tiers rather than 10 will also apparently allow over 1000 helpers at once on screen, a huge increase from the original 56.

but either way, i'm also thinking of changing the game's aspect ratio from 4:3 with artificial black bars to 16:9 without any black bars (they will appear if you attempt to run the game in 4:3 resolutions like 640x480, though a bit bigger than they are now, but they'll be there only to allow anyone with a 4:3 monitor to run this game fullscreen rather than to serve no purpose like they originally did).

the new default resolution in the config files will probably become 1280x720, since hd/full hd widescreen monitors are fairly popular these days, being the widely accepted standard and all.

the screen will look somewhat like this. the lifebars may get smaller, this is just a proof of concept thing.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
to compare, original.
and select screen, due to expanded width and no black bars will gain a whole lot of extra space:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:41:29 PM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
Re: plans for the future
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:04:54 AM »
More character space if definitely good. And holy shit, over 1000 helpers over the original 56? That's beyond exponential, lol.
Still, I believe I mentioned somewhere earlier that F12 screencapping doesn't seem to work in 1.1 (at first I thought it was a laptop keyboard issue with having to hold fn first). Is elecbyte planning to restore that later?

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:53:35 AM »
that's actually my fault. i changed the exe to save the screenshots into scr/ folder for 1.1 for my dev build and forgot to change it back for release version. i don't like it saving the screenshots to main folder, it clutters it too much.

mugen can't create a folder (not anymore maybe, i think it did at one point, at least on winxp), so it never takes screens without it present. if you create a folder called scr and press f12, it'll save screenshots again.

i'll fix that for the next full reupload, as well as update the exe to beta1 p1.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:01:26 AM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:54:23 AM »
This all sounds good to me. Bring on the future!

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
I spy with my little eye new characters in that selection screen! :D (or are they "stubs"?)

In any case. Would it be ok if I ask a few questions Serio?

(click to show/hide)

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a inquisitive soul ;p
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Those are unfinished characters that are in Serio's in-development version. They were there last time: /board/index.php?topic=301.msg7684#msg7684

Granted, Trevor has a proper palette now, so maybe he has progressed?

As for the one on the lower right: /board/index.php?topic=301.msg7698#msg7698

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »
+1
>- How drastic is the change over to 1.1 from previous versions?
not that much, 1.1 is similar to 1.0, except it uses hardware gpu acceleration so it's much faster if you have a half decent hardware with at least opengl 2.1, such as geforce fx 9xxx series or newer. anything older than that won't work though.

>- How much memory will 1.1 use over the old winmugen/1.0?
the same as 1.0, though it'll load stuff faster. you can already check it in the game, the 1.1 exe has been present for months. i'd need elecbyte to implement music streaming to be able to use external music the same way i do now.

>- Any change to a better sound format in 1.1?
nope, 1.1 is the graphic update.

>- Due to new RGB and RGBA sprite support, will some of the older sprites get a color rework, or will they be kept the same?
for now i'll probably keep rgba out since mugen forces blur on anything that's 24/32 bit. that and there aren't any good tools to edit the new file formats efficiently. just crap like fighter factory.

>- Will stage/screen zooming be used at all?
nope.
Dracula was here

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
I think it's a nice change. The zooming part though could be used if you ever plan on doing something more bonusstage-ish like this:

I don't mean exactly this but it's got some potential, (unless it also appears as a random stage, then it's basically useless)

Also... Grant? Want! (no hurries though)

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »
Thanks Serio for your reply to my questions. +1 from me ;p

I rock a Radeon HD5850 (found out it was not a 5870 :S) in my PC so it should work wonders with 1.1. Just installed a powerful new fan cooler for it as well, along with a new CPU cooler.

Hopefully elecbyte will removed that forced blur stuff on RGBA. I think that's rather silly having it always on.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
I Make CVF videos!

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:23 AM »
zooming is stage-specific. it only happens on stages that have it set up, and isn't controllable in any way by characters. it either happens to everyone/everything or doesn't happen at all.

you can try 1.1 already, the exe has been in the game for a while. the plan is to remove win and 1.0, so that i can use 1.0/1.1's new coding.
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
the plan is to remove win and 1.0, so that i can use 1.0/1.1's new coding.

In other words, Code refactoring in a way?

*Edit* - Could the stage zooming be used to set up screen sizes for bigger levels perhaps? (Carmilla comes to mind here)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:14:34 AM by Superscope »
I Make CVF videos!

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:14 AM »
kinda yeah. i'll be mostly removing the buggy workarounds for ai detection, stage detection and a few other things, replacing them with the proper code mugen has for that now. with some luck maybe i'll even be able to fix the stage foreground getting pushed off to the left/right which still tends to happen from time to time.

i don't want to make stages have variable scales, making characters smaller or bigger than usual on certain ones.
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 04:40:51 AM »
Fair enough with the variable scaling. Best to keep the pixel size ratio the same the whole game.

Death to buggy workarounds ;p

Post Merge: December 18, 2013, 04:47:19 AM
Oh yea, another quick question if i may?

Now that we have 30 teirs instead of 10. Will there be some boss re-arrangements? (ie, perhaps always fighting some bosses in order now)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:47:19 AM by Superscope »
I Make CVF videos!

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
Now that we have 30 teirs instead of 10. Will there be some boss re-arrangements? (ie, perhaps always fighting some bosses in order now)

That's the idea. Imagine the possibilities! Belmont tier! Albus always before Barlowe! :D

We still don't have Street Fighter Alpha 3-styled story bosses though. :/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:33:27 PM by (yber])ragon10]{ »
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:59 AM »
That's the idea. Imagine the possibilities! Belmont tier! Albus always before Barlowe! :D

It would really help on the story end for more creative conversations.
I Make CVF videos!

general forums