December 12, 2017, 09:50:27 PM

Author Topic: Game Art  (Read 7896 times)

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +15
Re: Game Art
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »

Offline FinnishFlame

• Oikeutettu Satunnaisuuden
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2016, 07:46:45 PM »
Added Stella. I'm starting to wonder who's going to color these.
"Always Alert." "Not As Alert As I Once Was."

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »
Stella's face looks really weird, I can't exactly point out what's the issue, but the eyes are one of them.

Getting someone to color the portraits is going to be hard, the forum is even less populated now, even Serio isn't showing up much.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:16:36 PM by Lukmendes »

Offline Dev Anj

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2016, 06:33:52 AM »
And if you really want to emulate Ayami's style, then you really need to understand why yours is different, you can start by trying to copy the same picture of a character and try to make it look identical, or nearly identical, or at least the face, which is the biggest difference.

I would actually prefer FinnishFlame to stick to his/her own style over imitating Ayami's work. I think so far Finnish has shown that he/she knows the basics well and I quite like the interpretation of most of the characters shown here. Keep up the good work!

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »
I would actually prefer FinnishFlame to stick to his/her own style over imitating Ayami's work. I think so far Finnish has shown that he/she knows the basics well and I quite like the interpretation of most of the characters shown here. Keep up the good work!

I figured that pixelated artwork would be very cumbersome, almost too much so (it was taking way too much time), so I switched to drawing instead. Only problem is, I can't color then - software limitations.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2016, 04:48:24 PM »

While the previous posts make it not look like it, I'm not against him using his own style, it's actualy better for an artist to find something they're confortable with.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
As it turns out, I have just found a way to color pictures. However, they will be mostly plainly shaded, with minimal shadow, as I won't be able to go into details. But with this and spriting simultaneously, I probably won't be able to be as productive, unfortunately.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
As it turns out, I have just found a way to color pictures. However, they will be mostly plainly shaded, with minimal shadow, as I won't be able to go into details. But with this and spriting simultaneously, I probably won't be able to be as productive, unfortunately.

Right, should've been mentioned that we need someone to color pictures when we discussed for the forum to have more staff members.

And honestly, you've done a lot, so don't worry about being less productive for a while, specialy about portraits, as they can have place holders.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
I'll just do the absolute minimum and make replacements for the ones who need it first, if that could be done.

EDIT~

Colored Charlotte, from before.

Further EDIT~

Colored Jonathan, also from before.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:11:46 AM by FinnishFlame »

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 05:04:16 AM »
I'll just do the absolute minimum and make replacements for the ones who need it first, if that could be done.

EDIT~

Colored Charlotte, from before.

Further EDIT~

Colored Jonathan, also from before.

Charlotte looks good, Jonathan's overall looks good, but his left and right eye have different shades of blue, the iris on his eyes should be black instead of darker blue too.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »
At this point, I don't know what really to do.

For drawn portraits, I can't necessarily draw independently without tracing or otherwise referencing, as my art style, for some reason, is only limited to females. Coloring is hard as well. One complete portrait, with full details and such, would take about two days, give or take.

However, for sprited portraits, they're much easier to make, but they tend to be very tedious, and require more commentary/criticism, as there's more room for mistakes. I can get one done in about a few minutes or so, but correcting the criticism is a much longer process.

I have an update for the sprited ones, but I'm unsure which to continue with. Any ideas?

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »
At this point, I don't know what really to do.

For drawn portraits, I can't necessarily draw independently without tracing or otherwise referencing, as my art style, for some reason, is only limited to females. Coloring is hard as well. One complete portrait, with full details and such, would take about two days, give or take.

However, for sprited portraits, they're much easier to make, but they tend to be very tedious, and require more commentary/criticism, as there's more room for mistakes. I can get one done in about a few minutes or so, but correcting the criticism is a much longer process.

I have an update for the sprited ones, but I'm unsure which to continue with. Any ideas?

The drawn ones look better, but I wasn't aware that sprited ones were easier to make.

I could make suggestions about which one you should go for, but honestly, I think at this point Serio should decide when he returns, if he's okay with the "lower" quality of the sprited ones then you might as well continue with that one, so maybe you should stop drawing either one for now until that time to avoid drawing everything twice in different ways, there's plenty of drawings and sprited ones in this thread, so he can see, compare and decide when he comes back.

Though I'll at least say this, the sprited ones have plenty of potential, Carmila is the best looking one of the bunch in my opinion.

We should also be sure if ahanblazer permanently left, that guy posts some portraits, then leaves for months, then returns with more portraits, then leaves again, lol.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2016, 01:26:07 AM »
Well, I PMed ahanblazer a few months back a few months ago, when I was starting to work on the portraits, so...

Anyhow, there's two possible ways I can color the drawn portraits. The ones that were already submitted were colored one color at a time, in blocks, and then trimmed. This isn't the best system. I could also try and color with lines, but that's more tedious. Not sure if I can post an example of that style, it's not on topic and the image is huge, at 1.5 MB.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2016, 02:23:23 AM »
Well, I PMed ahanblazer a few months back a few months ago, when I was starting to work on the portraits, so...

Anyhow, there's two possible ways I can color the drawn portraits. The ones that were already submitted were colored one color at a time, in blocks, and then trimmed. This isn't the best system. I could also try and color with lines, but that's more tedious. Not sure if I can post an example of that style, it's not on topic and the image is huge, at 1.5 MB.

You really shouldn't worry about going off topic when me and Anonymous do mini derails on threads when talking to each other lately, lol.

Don't think 1.5MB file would be that bad since the image only really loads when you click on the thumbnail.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:28 AM »
I tried posting this so many times without anything loading, so I'll just put the text and add in the picture later.

So, this drawing not only exemplifies my drawing style outside of this game, but that coloring manner that was aforementioned. Also, one of my original characters. :)

Yes, I used a base.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:49:24 AM by FinnishFlame »

general forums