October 18, 2017, 03:47:23 AM

Author Topic: Hope you guys are still alive (also bug report)  (Read 263 times)

GuardianTempest

Hope you guys are still alive (also bug report)
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »
Hi, I've been checking this place every now and then (likely every few weeks?) I hope you guys are still alive and developing, I'm sure you still have surprises in the works for us. Anyway, don't give up just yet and all. I wish I could contribute since you guys seem strapped for volunteers, but I don't have the skills (just yet). So I'll just spectate on the background.

Also, is it me or is the current full download possessing some trojans?

Offline Anonymous

• gold member
  • -nonexistent and 0% creative in names-
  • Respect: 0
Re: Hope you guys are still alive (also bug report)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »
Your anti-virus just sees the compressed data of the patch as a virus or threat, it's been happening to every patch, not just this one.

(And no, I'm not from 4chan! Or from the textboard)

GuardianTempest

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
I see, perhaps something got into the online uploads? Can't be too paranoid about this stuff, there's probably something that's causing false positives.

Post Merge: June 30, 2017, 01:57:24 PM
Pardon the double-posting, guests don't have an edit button after all. For additional information, it was only the main executables that were triggering the anti-virus (after extraction at least).

Was it ever identified what causes the false positive? Outside of an .exe being in a file archive, presumably.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:57:24 PM by GuardianTempest »

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
the program i use to compress that was probably used to compress a trojan or a virus somewhere else, and since it's impossible to look into the encryption, they blanket mark the whole compression/encryption system as a precaution.

it'd be kinda like calling all zip files viruses because at some point in the past a virus was compressed with zip.
Dracula was here

GuardianTempest

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »
I see, thank you for the response.

After a bit of fiddling, it appears that the suspect items are the four main cvbla executables within the archive. I just extracted the latest download right now and the anti-virus branded those files as Trojans of a very serious severity on the spot. So perhaps it's not exactly the ZIP files themselves, but it might just be me with some unique circumstances. If I have other computers I would test it out to see if others would quarantine/delete those four EXE files.

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
the zip was just an allegory. the exes themselves are compressed, they have most of the required dlls and a few other things included within them. the antivirus doesn't like the method the exes are packed with, since it can't tell the difference between a game and a virus that was packed with it. all it can see is the compression method and executable code it can't understand/scan since it's encrypted, so it deletes it by detecting the compression method.

i'll have to look for another way to do this packing thing i guess.
Dracula was here

Offline SilverFox

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Well that just makes me feel very stupid... That's what I get for not looking around. Though if I may suggest, use the standard method of compressing files or make it a .rar file if possible.

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
Here's the thing though, we kinda don't want certain things to be open for mining and possibly stealing like that.

Offline SilverFox

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 03:50:17 AM »
That makes sense. I wish there was some way I could help.

general forums