February 18, 2019, 11:49:13 PM

Author Topic: Available/Taken stories. Fill the blanks!  (Read 27063 times)

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
Re: Available/Taken stories. Fill the blanks!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »
@Fou-Lu

Thank you for the reply. This has given me quite a bit of data to start work.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
I'm not a mod, but I've been talking heavily with some of the people in charge, so I feel confident that I can help.

- Is the story based on conversations between 2 people only (pretty much what blazblue does)?

Not quite like Blazblue's story mode, rather more like its arcade mode. The only dialogue will be right before and right after a battle, not counting the intro/outro.

- Is there a conversation after battle?

Yes.

- Is there a intro/outro of the game needed and if so, can scenes be modified in the game for them?

Yes - there is a text prologue and epilogue, as well as an intro and an ending. The intro will be the character walking into the castle (just as the game starts now), where they will then have a conversation with Aeon, who will introduce them to the situation. The ending involves the character standing on the cliff, watching the castle crumble, where they have another conversation with Aeon which resolves the character's personal conflict. As far as these things are concerned, I don't believe the scenes can be changed.

- How much can a person remain out of charater without breaking any of the story?

I believe they should remain as in-character as possible. Also, note that the overall tone for this game is rather dark and serious rather than silly. I understand where that might cause problems where Touhou is concerned, but still... try for serious as much as you can.

- Can battles be forced to be set battles based on a story (ie, remillia)? If so, how many battles would be required? Would some battles not even need a dialog? (ie, gergoth)

As it stands, there is no way to make a character encounter specific enemies during an arcade mode run (perhaps in a later version of Mugen, but not now). So there is no guaranteeing who you will run into, and as such it's recommended that you write as many dialogues as possible to fill things out. The only guaranteed boss fights (and thus required dialogues) are Death and Dracula. Also, Remilia is a boss that will only ever be fought in survival mode, so there will never be any dialogue with her at all.

Don't bother writing scenes for things that can't talk, such as Gergoth and Cerberus. Other than that, try to write for just about everyone. That's what I'm doing, though it's not exactly required.

- When confronting the compatability of touhou and castlevania storylines, would Sakuya/remillia/reimu be from a alternate reality, or from the current timeline the game is set in, since they are from a place that is effectively "disconnected" from the world and are mostly uneffected by the events of the world?

Alternate reality. In fact, that's how it's going to be for most of the Castlevania characters as well, since this super-powered Dracula exists in a timeline where Alucard is dead, and Dracula killed off Trevor, cutting off all future Belmonts. Hence them being brought in by Aeon.

You're in a similar situation to me if you're writing for Sakuya, as I'm writing stories for some characters from these Chinese Castlevania lookalikes that have nothing to do with CV. As they go through the story, they won't recognize anyone they see. So you have to think a little harder about what conversations they might have with their opponents.

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 01:59:14 AM »
@rasgar

I believe they should remain as in-character as possible. Also, note that the overall tone for this game is rather dark and serious rather than silly. I understand where that might cause problems where Touhou is concerned, but still... try for serious as much as you can.

Sakuya is actually rather serious in many of her roles. The only real time she seems to act a bit more silly is when she's near her master, remillia, or where she has to deal with a certain gate guard...

Thanks for more infomation. The more data the better i can start.

Just one quick question. Is there a boss list anywhere on the fourms? it would be nice to have a "checklist" of sorts.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:17:59 AM by Superscope »
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
I Make CVF videos!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »

Sakuya is actually rather serious in many of her roles. The only real time she seems to act a bit more silly is when she's near her master, remillia, or where she has to deal with a certain gate guard...

That's true. Although... doesn't Sakuya have summons in KD2? I only played a little of it, but I vaguely remember being able to summon Meilin. It's possible that you might want/need to include her summon characters in some of her dialogue, though I guess you'd need to ask someone a little more knowledgeable than me.

Just one quick question. Is there a boss list anywhere on the fourms? it would be nice to have a "checklist" of sorts.

There is: http://serio.piiym.net/CVBla/board/index.php?topic=196.0 Click on the Characters spoiler and you will see a list of bosses.

Generally, I believe most people hit Dario, Carmilla, Olrox, Richter, and Shaft (and of course, Death and Dracula). I'm trying to do just about everyone/thing that can talk, which also includes Albus, Astarte, Barlowe, Brauner, the Lecarde twins (I believe they are one boss fight), Blackmore, Medusa, Balore, and Abaddon. CyberDragon (one of the mods) also brought up the idea of using Agni as a moment for your character to think about the situation... an inner monologue of sorts, I guess. Since the dialogue will be happening before his intro, which involves him crashing down on your head, so all the dialogue will be happening with no boss onscreen.

If you get done with all those and want to keep writing, there's also the following list of bosses who may be in the game eventually: Succubus, Dmitrii, Galamoth, Isaac, Karasuman, Joachim, Walter, Puppet Master, Necromancer (from CotM), and Zephyr (which should be a very entertaining encounter for Sakuya. And Hugh might eventually be a boss, but I'm not sure.

If you have any questions about how a character should be portrayed, feel free to ask and I'll help as best as I can.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the premise of this game's story, and how a character's story should be written?

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 04:53:17 AM »
doesn't Sakuya have summons in KD2? I only played a little of it.

From what i know, she gets a rather large following compared to Reimu(Which herself is included in the lineup). I believe the entire lineup was:

- Hong Meiling
 - Patchouli Knowledge
 - Alice Margatroid
 - Reimu Hakurei
 - Flandre Scarlet

Considering that Reimu already has a appearance in the game she wouldn't be part of Sakuya's moveset.

Also considering that i/we don't even know what Sakuya's moveset is. I'm guessing Meiling, Patchouli and Flandre will be a close range, long range and super move respectfully, as they all live at the same place as Remillia.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the premise of this game's story, and how a character's story should be written?

I've played almost all the castlevania's on the snes, gba, ds. Also SotN and HoD. I've read up on the synopsis so i got the basic idea of what the current story is about.

- Dracula goes mad from the lost of his wife and son
- The first actual Belmont gets defeated (thus breaking the whole line of Belmont's)
- Him becoming a sort of super Dracula after several centuries of existence, soul gathering, etc.

The only thing that i have a slight fault with is this "Saint Germain". Is he actual canon to castlevania or someone who just ties the plot together?

I've written a few fan fiction stories before, but not a "script" for a video game. Would there be a set format required for me to follow or i just attempt to write it all together?
I Make CVF videos!

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 05:07:42 AM »
CyberDragon (one of the mods) also brought up the idea of using Agni as a moment for your character to think about the situation... an inner monologue of sorts, I guess. Since the dialogue will be happening before his intro, which involves him crashing down on your head, so all the dialogue will be happening with no boss onscreen.

Just an FYI, fairly certain this is the case with Balore as well. He doesn't seem to start actually appearing until the lifebars are visible (i.e. fight starts), so yeah. Maybe have the character wonder about the huge prison... or what it houses. :P

- Hong Meiling
 - Patchouli Knowledge
 - Alice Margatroid

I can imagine these three becoming command moves for Sakuya, much like Cirno/Marisa for Reimu. :T

The only thing that i have a slight fault with is this "Saint Germain". Is he actual canon to castlevania or someone who just ties the plot together?

Very much canon, look up Curse of Darkness for the PS2, or at least the cutscenes. Alternatively, Aeon from Judgment would also work, but this is largely a case of either/or. :x

I've written a few fan fiction stories before, but not a "script" for a video game. Would there be a set format required for me to follow or i just attempt to write it all together?

Well, I figure I can repost this again if it'll serve as an example... :3

(click to show/hide)
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:02 AM »
Hmm... watched several of the cut scenes and read his background. He's a rather interesting person St.Germain. Both himself and Aeon are equal in the role of the story I'm planning.

That demo script is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
I Make CVF videos!

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Also, Remilia is a boss that will only ever be fought in survival mode, so there will never be any dialogue with her at all.
if a future mugen allows it, i was thinking of making the survival bosses appear in arcade for specific characters, like remilia for reimu/sakuya etc.

she's an airhead in the canon though. i mean, who'd open a window in a spaceship to 'air it' when it's in space?

That's true. Although... doesn't Sakuya have summons in KD2? I only played a little of it, but I vaguely remember being able to summon Meilin.
i don't want sakuya to be a reimu clone, so i want to try using her boss abilities as specials instead of more strikers. summons can work for story though, they could 'follow' her while she deals with stuff i guess.

Just an FYI, fairly certain this is the case with Balore as well. He doesn't seem to start actually appearing until the lifebars are visible (i.e. fight starts), so yeah.
i was recoding the intros recently to use a new code format for the intro stories, so balore's head now appears before the intro. hands after the lifebars appear.

[Both Hughs walk towards each other, pause briefly, then lock swords via heavy slash]
i'm not sure i can do those right now. the way it's coded it only allows for a regular conversation with at most a special animation, like a taunt, sit on a chair or such.

i should try to work in some sort of timed 'invisible text' block (turn textbox off, then after a set time when the animation ends show it back), which'll also allow for such animations to be used, but that'll probably need more variables. lol

edit: ok, that's coded in now. it'll be happening automatically, story box'll disappear, character'll do an unskippable cutscene like walking, animating or such, then it'll jump to another line of text.

i had to do it that way cause i didn't want the player to break things by quickly skipping through story and having the character still doing his animation while the story's way ahead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:26:41 PM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »

There's one other point I want to make about the story writing. As evidenced by the example posted by CyberDragon, the focus of the story should be a personal dilemma of the character that is resolved by the end of the story. Morrison explained it better than I can, but I don't remember where he posted the explanation of this... somewhere on the old board for sure, but I'm too tired to look for it now because I just woke up. Anyways, for Hugh, his problem is his jealousy of Nathan. For Soma it might be the fact that he's fated to become Dracula some day if things don't go right. For Ronald McDonald... it could be that they ran out of fries during lunch rush. I dunno, but hopefully that helps :)

Now honestly, I can't think of what it might be for Sakuya, other than perhaps looking for Remilia. But I guess that's your job to figure out.

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
For Ronald McDonald... it could be that they ran out of fries during lunch rush.
that or they were designing a new burger, so ronald went looking for new, unique type of ingredients. he learned about dracula and his legions of undead.

now he's got a mission, to get to castlevania and find the perfect ingredients for his new burger, like zombie flesh, vampire blood, canned fire from aguni etc.

lol
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
she's an airhead in the canon though
Depends really. She spaces out every so often, but she is pretty serious about her work i believe. Most of the time you often don't see her working hard, but that's mainly because she's often stopping time during it.

I can't think of what it might be for Sakuya, other than perhaps looking for Remilia

Well.. that's kinda one of the only set-ups that really would attract/motivate Sakuya to act against Dracula without adding in a story that only a complex mastermind can understand, or breaking her character. The only other way i could see the story working out is if Remilia ordered Sakuya, if Dracula somehow stopped the season of spring or if Dracula stole one of two rather valuable items off her. (The last one really doesn't bold well as a story)

While the main focus of Sakuya's story would be "rescuing/finding Remilia" (which may be a simple reason, it is a strong one none the less), I would be shredding light on other aspects for her story as well.

- The "reason" why Remilia left her own home in the first place.
- To develop interesting conversations between Sakuya and the time traveler Aeon, mainly during the intro and outro (She's never met anyone with similar abilities as herself, so she would be curious, no?)

that or they were designing a new burger, so ronald went looking for new, unique type of ingredients. he learned about dracula and his legions of undead.

now he's got a mission, to get to castlevania and find the perfect ingredients for his new burger, like zombie flesh, vampire blood, canned fire from aguni etc.

lol

Perhaps he's expanding his massive empire into Transylvania? ;3
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:28:04 PM by Superscope »
I Make CVF videos!

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
There was previously an idea of making Remilia a playable character (with Flandre as a possible partner) in the old textboard, but I have no idea where that went. The idea, I mean.

Offline Superscope

• gold member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
There was previously an idea of making Remilia a playable character (with Flandre as a possible partner) in the old textboard, but I have no idea where that went. The idea, I mean.

Unless they were always flying, there would have to be a lot of sprite work on that. As i believe the only actual sprites of Remilia are her flying around and throwing fancy arm movements. Would be quite fun to throw giant glowing red laser spears at people however ;3

Quote from: serio
i don't want sakuya to be a reimu clone, so i want to try using her boss abilities
Hopefully with either time stopping or daggers that blink into existince? ;D

Btw.. written up a small prolog for Sakuya. Anyone interested in taking a look?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:44:29 PM by Superscope »
I Make CVF videos!

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Still, if Remilia was greenlighted as a playable character, it would give Sakuya a clear motivation to go into this 'verse. Giving Remi herself a motive to confront Drac shouldn't be so hard.
Of course, I'd still like to see what you came up with, mind posting it here?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:52:11 PM by VladCT »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
I just thought of another idea. Perhaps Sakuya could could be challenging Dracula on Remilia's behalf for the position of top vampire?

Or another thing... wasn't there some kind of rumor about Sakuya being a vampire hunter before meeting Remilia and becoming a maid? You could always have Sakuya taken from her timeline at a point in which she hasn't met Remilia yet.

Btw.. written up a small prolog for Sakuya. Anyone interested in taking a look?

Go ahead and post it, that would be the best way to figure out if you're going in the right direction.

general forums