April 21, 2019, 11:15:16 PM

Author Topic: Story guideline submission Rules  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Fou-Lu

• Respect: +2
Story guideline submission Rules
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
Amended as of: 12/19/12

Mods please feel free to add your own rules to this I've just got one to put up due to a story recently sent to me.

We reserve the right to alter your story if it doesn't fit correctly into the canon/ is salvageable/ we feel like it ectra.

Think of it like if you submitted your work to any company or movie producer.  Unlike them though we will send changes back to you and you then have the right to pull the work if you dislike the changes.  Though you have no real other options on it.  This isn't negotiable hense why this topic is locked to anyone who isn't a mod or admin.

Also do not send your stories to me, send them to Morrison and Cyberdragon they will send me the stories after they approve them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:00:18 AM by Fou-Lu »

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: +5
Re: Story guideline submission Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that the main storyline involving a Dracula from another timeline who has accumulated immense power IS THE STORYLINE THAT WE'RE USING.  Altering or ignoring the foundation setting (say, by making Uber-Drac into a super-powered IGA-universe Drac instead of an alternate timeline Drac) is going to earn an automatic DITFO ("Do It The Fuck Over") from me. 

Also, Death in this game is the same Death that's appeared in all other games.  It was decided long ago on the old board that Death in all Castlevania timelines is just Death.  There's not a different Death from one timeline to the next as might be the case with Dracula or the Belmonts.  Death is a hyper-dimensional creature born of infinity who exists out of (but can interact with) time.  He does not change from timeline to timeline.  He's the same Death across the board.  I don't know how many other ways I can say it, but writing Death as anything other than that is wrong for this game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:11:27 PM by Morrison »

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
Natural English, and flow.

It's odd, how I have to stress this; some of the stories I've seen neglect a natural sounding flow to the exposition/dialogue for some odd reason, and I don't understand why. It's not a very involved check either. Simply read your words/text aloud. Does it sound natural? Is it something that X character would conceivably say? If not, work it over until it sounds reasonable. I'm aware not everyone here (or who will be here, as the case may be) is fluent in English, but do make an effort before shipping your drafts to Morrison or myself.

Most characters/bosses have existing speech patterns from the official games that you can draw from anyway. I, for example, would avoid making Carmilla or Olrox/Orlock sound too "casual" considering the time period they originate from (game/history/whatever). On the flip side, avoid overdoing something too, since that's just as bad (i.e. Dario swearing like a sailor; we get it, he's from modern times).

No emoticons because SRSBSNS GRRR
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
this only refers to non-cv related characters.

unless the character's from the castlevania universe or a related one, you should come up with some plausible idea for how they enter this world.

i don't really want cv characters to freely interfere with other universes as if they were their own (and same goes the other way around) since it smells like a bad fanfic. i'd rather have something more believable that includes powerful entities from both universes working together to send the characters through.

example, touhou's yukari is contacted by aeon, has the problem explained to her and using her boundary manipulation powers combined with aeon's or his subordinate's power forms a temporary passage between the 2 universes for reimu/sakuya to go through is ok. it requires interaction from both sides to form the passage.

yukari strolling through a boundary gap into cv universe like she owned it and screwing with everything and everyone, aeon included is a bad fanfiction and not ok.
Dracula was here

Offline Fou-Lu

• Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
All stories should be assumed to happen within the same basic storyline.  As such you cannot have events in your story that directly alter events in another person's story, this includes killing off characters who are playable.  Doing that defeats the purpose.
In addition the ending assumes everyone returns to their respective time-lines keep this in mind.

There are not boss and non boss versions of characters if the character you are writing for is also a boss please keep in mind the personality and actions of that character.  So for example you cannot have "evil" Ritcher because no such character exists, and for Albus he should be somewhat insane because his boss version very clearly is.  There are methods of having someone fight an "evil" version of a character however, such as a doppleganger or a battle within one's own mind.

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
  • Player characters and boss versions your selected character fights do not physically die in story mode, they are simply beaten. Serio has coded them that way.
  • Bosses that directly serve Uber Dracula are revived (by him) after they incinerate, and will continue to do so until Uber Dracula himself falls (Word of God).

Unless the engine becomes more flexible anytime soon, the second one will stay as it is.
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:27:01 PM »
i guess some of this stuff (sending stories to people and all of that grading stuff) doesn't matter anymore, since foulu's more occupied with his game, no idea what cyber does and morrison apparently got kidnapped by ninjas, and there were no bad dudes around to save him. at this rate nothing will ever get done.

i'll start adding in the completed storylines. if anyone still feels like they can be improved, post in their topics.
Dracula was here

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »
i guess some of this stuff (sending stories to people and all of that grading stuff) doesn't matter anymore, since foulu's more occupied with his game, no idea what cyber does and morrison apparently got kidnapped by ninjas, and there were no bad dudes around to save him. at this rate nothing will ever get done.

i'll start adding in the completed storylines. if anyone still feels like they can be improved, post in their topics.

When Cyber returns (He does return once every few months), and when Fou-lu randomly shows up, and if Morrison escapes from the ninjas, could you ask them if they're still writing the stories they said they would write? Just to confirm if they're still writting them/want to write them.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »
I'll take a look at my own stories. After years of not touching them they will be easy to revise.
Perhaps we could appoint some temporary story feedback guys until the stars align and the ancients return. So far I think Sypha's story was my favorite, but there's a lot I haven't read.
EDIT: All done and good. Although I still need to change Alucard VS Shaft's post battle.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:05:17 AM by Malphas »

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
I'll take a look at my own stories. After years of not touching them they will be easy to revise.
Perhaps we could appoint some temporary story feedback guys until the stars align and the ancients return. So far I think Sypha's story was my favorite, but there's a lot I haven't read.
EDIT: All done and good. Although I still need to change Alucard VS Shaft's post battle.

I'll read both of them later.

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
I was finally able to escape.  Damn ninjas...
I think we need to revise the rules, personally.  The new tier system (new to me) might give us a better guideline for how and with whom to write conversations. 

I might have also found an artist.  I'll toss her a test portrait and see how we all feel about the final product.

Short answer: Yes, working with those scripts, but might take things in a new direction for those characters.

Are we still using the original storyline (uber-Drag fueled by super-tragedy)?

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
You're back![/wind]

From what I know, I think we're still going with that.

Offline Anonymous

• gold member
  • -nonexistent and 0% creative in names-
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
Though a lot of the gameplay and especially boss fights have changed quite substantially, the main storyline has been left untouched. (I would hope it remains that way)

(And no, I'm not from 4chan! Or from the textboard)

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 05:53:10 PM »
As far as story changes, as far as I remember, the characters can now find other characters in the story mode, so something like, what Malphas planned for Alucard to find Sonia, it could be added, me and FinnishFlame also discussed for Dmitrii to be fought a second time at tier 7, he absorbs a lot of souls, loses control and whatnot, just this time he actualy gets better control over them temporarily, then fights the character with a new moveset and without the copying elements (Copying elements is the best way we could find to adapt his copying souls power from DoS, basicaly if you hit him with any sort of element, he'll have only one attack of that element, by default he'll have a physical attack though), after he gets beaten he turns into Menace again.

Dmitrii and Dario are also getting playable versions, Celia is also getting both a player and boss version, as for how they're used in the story, I suggested for all the player versions to be from Somacula's universe, that way we'd get more insight in that universe than "Somacula won", Dmitrii survives by possessing a Doppelganger again when Soma loses control over his emotions, but Soma turns into Somacula and Dmitrii runs away, Dario is still alive, still has the fire powers but is much weaker, which is the excuse for him to use weapons and not just his fire powers, Celia, I think it was planned for her to be working for Somacula instead of being instant killed by him, so she goes to defeat Dracula because she doesn't want the universes to be destroyed, boss Celia, I think she's supposed to not be aware of the universes destruction.

Graham is also planned to be added now, both as a boss and a playable character, nothing on his story was planned though.

I think that's about it for the story-wise changes.

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
You're back![/wind]

From what I know, I think we're still going with that.

Hello!  Good to be back, and to see you all again!

Though a lot of the gameplay and especially boss fights have changed quite substantially, the main storyline has been left untouched. (I would hope it remains that way)

Honestly, I always liked the open approach of the storyline for this game.  The potential for character exploration, lore examination, and the like is rich and plentiful.  Though Castlevania was never a deep storytelling experience (even LoS and its sequels barely scratch the surface), we have now as before the real opportunity to create a truly unique experience, one that matches the acclaimed gameplay (seriously, people on YouTube love this game, and for good reason).

Basically, we want to make players laugh, cry, and feel things again. 

As far as story changes, as far as I remember, the characters can now find other characters in the story mode, so something like, what Malphas planned for Alucard to find Sonia, it could be added, me and FinnishFlame also discussed for Dmitrii to be fought a second time at tier 7, he absorbs a lot of souls, loses control and whatnot, just this time he actualy gets better control over them temporarily, then fights the character with a new moveset and without the copying elements (Copying elements is the best way we could find to adapt his copying souls power from DoS, basicaly if you hit him with any sort of element, he'll have only one attack of that element, by default he'll have a physical attack though), after he gets beaten he turns into Menace again.

Dmitrii and Dario are also getting playable versions, Celia is also getting both a player and boss version, as for how they're used in the story, I suggested for all the player versions to be from Somacula's universe, that way we'd get more insight in that universe than "Somacula won", Dmitrii survives by possessing a Doppelganger again when Soma loses control over his emotions, but Soma turns into Somacula and Dmitrii runs away, Dario is still alive, still has the fire powers but is much weaker, which is the excuse for him to use weapons and not just his fire powers, Celia, I think it was planned for her to be working for Somacula instead of being instant killed by him, so she goes to defeat Dracula because she doesn't want the universes to be destroyed, boss Celia, I think she's supposed to not be aware of the universes destruction.

Graham is also planned to be added now, both as a boss and a playable character, nothing on his story was planned though.

I think that's about it for the story-wise changes.

Okay.  That's a lot of AoS/DoS.  For good reason, I suppose--Somacula would make the games among the most important thematically, since they reveal the most about the reason(s) having the right Dark Lord is/are so important.

IMO, the reasons for Dario, Dmitrii, and Celia reappearing could be a bit more diverse/dynamic, transcending beyond merely "they escaped" for at least two of them.  I like Dmitrii's slippery nature, and think that justification is just fine...if I recall, though, doesn't Dario perish in the Somacula version of the ending?  If that is so, why not just use Canon-ending powerless Dario and make him beholden to Uber-Drac for his powers?  This allows him to keep some motivation for wanting to slip his leash, as well as provides a good founded reason for being there that builds upon what is considered official and authentic (i.e. that which is provided by IGA himself).  As for Celia, well, that would take some careful consideration...Graham as well.

I recall one of Fou Lu's concerns was that having too many alternate timelines might add to the confusion.  While I don't disagree, I do think that recent comic book movies and shows (X-Men and the Flash, specifically, as well as Doctor Who) have made this sort of multiversal thinking mainstream--so, absolutely, we should and could use the alternate endings of some games to guide us in our storytelling endeavors.  Legend of Zelda did it; why not Castlevania?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:36:10 PM by Morrison »

general forums