July 17, 2018, 09:55:55 AM

Author Topic: FinnishFlame's Sprite Submission Thread  (Read 49337 times)

Offline FinnishFlame

• Oikeutettu Satunnaisuuden
  • Respect: +6
Re: FinnishFlame's Sprite Submission Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »
Random Question:

I know I wrote this on my other thread, but I decided I'd post it here.

So I still haven't been able to complete Dario's RUNNING sprites after all this time; does anyone want to pick up work on them or enlighten me as to specifically what is wrong with them?

Here's the GIF, courtesy of Slogra:
"Always Alert." "Not As Alert As I Once Was."

Offline Medlin

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
I can suggest you a character, but not sure if you'll will be able to handle this.
There is a Castlevania clone for NEC PC-98 called Rusty. The character is a whip user but with magic abilities, not common for CV whip users. So the challenge - make Rusty Sprinkle sprite for this game. The problems are that I never see sprite rip offs from this game and that her move set is pretty poor and need some additional work (though she can run there at least). Also, the quality of the original sprite most likely need some improvement.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:23 PM »
I can suggest you a character, but not sure if you'll will be able to handle this.
There is a Castlevania clone for NEC PC-98 called Rusty. The character is a whip user but with magic abilities, not common for CV whip users. So the challenge - make Rusty Sprinkle sprite for this game. The problems are that I never see sprite rip offs from this game and that her move set is pretty poor and need some additional work (though she can run there at least). Also, the quality of the original sprite most likely need some improvement.

I found a video of the game:

She definitely would need a different sprite sheet, not only she's too big for CVF, her sprites movement also look awful.

My thoughts about her by this playthrough:

It looks like she can whip upwards, but maybe not downwards? (Maybe the player didn't use it) That's cool, not really something a lot of characters have, and yes, CV4 Simon has it, which is a similarity they'd have, but it looks like she doesn't have an axe, so that'd be her main/only anti air.

She has a familiar which looks like Marias', (those familiars honestly suck, lol), but it looks like her's attacks only when she attacks? That's honestly cool, it gives her a control over it.

She has a move which she makes energy orbs around her then they spread, it's kind of like SotN Richter's axe item crash, only she doesn't go in the air, so it'd be better against grounded bosses than against flying bosses.

Looks like she has an invincible move, could work as a b,d,f move (Or maybe have no charge at all, since she activates it automaticaly).

She has a stop watch, which unlike CV games, it only slows down time, which is exactly how stop watches work in this game, lol.

Overall, she'd be a decent addition from what I've seen, I don't know if she has anything else, but from what I've seen, the only thing from a generic whip user she has is the whip, which while it'll give her similar strategies in some matchups, overall it wouldn't be identical because she lacks daggers, axe, holy water (From what I've seen at least) and whip spin (Though maybe that could be added since there are generic whip users who never had whip spin in the games).

And that final boss totaly isn't Dracula, totaly.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:32:44 PM by Lukmendes »

Offline Mr Esturk

• Ancient Fangame Maker with Purple Zombie Dragons.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
I made a partial attempt at ripping Rusty's sprites a while back. I you guys would like I could clean up my sheet and post it for reference.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2016, 11:37:52 PM »
I made a partial attempt at ripping Rusty's sprites a while back. I you guys would like I could clean up my sheet and post it for reference.

Posting it would be good, that would help if anyone makes sprites for her.

Offline Mr Esturk

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 04:02:08 AM »
Here's what I had from before, didn't remember it being this incomplete but its a start:

NOTES:

- EDIT: Completed ripping the walking, running, and death animations. (PC-98 emulators are a pain to rip art from (I still haven't even been able to find the screenshot command for either of the ones I have. Been using PrntScreen to get this art :P)

- For some strange reason Rusty renders all its sprites/backgrounds with the pixels scaled 200% vertically. That why all her sprites look stretched out: its just how they look in game.

- Her sprites are roughly 200% larger than CV Fighter's scale. Not that it matters much since, as Lukmendes said, her sprites are animated rather crudely (Marvel at the lovely alignment of her whip :P)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:40:15 AM by Mr Esturk »

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 04:25:36 AM »
Does she have a jump downwards whip attack? Also from what I've seen on the video she has a running animation.

Offline Mr Esturk

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 04:42:41 AM »
Does she have a jump downwards whip attack? Also from what I've seen on the video she has a running animation.

Nope, only forward and directly upward (no diagonal upward either and upward can only be done on the ground).

Updated my sheet with running, walking, and death. Going to have to play a bit to get to the sub-items. (I got the "fire" sub-item, which oddly makes 8 of those blue orbs on the sheet coming spinning out of her similar to the Drac X Axe item crash.)

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 11:53:06 AM »
Nope, only forward and directly upward (no diagonal upward either and upward can only be done on the ground).

I think she'd at least need a jumping upward one to help against some bosses and on VS (Having them diagonaly would be good too, but I'd understand why they wouldn't be added).

Also, one of her portraits would need to be used as a placeholder, I doubt Jorge has any portraits of her, and ahanblazer takes a while to show up here.

Then again, I'm thinking far too ahead, is anyone even going to make her sprites?

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
I probably could, although it would most likely take a while.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
I probably could, although it would most likely take a while.

With you making Ronald's sprites as well, it's understandable, lol.

She looks like a tall character, so her height could be more or less around Shanoa's or Sonia's.

Oh, and I noticed that the sprite sheet doesn't have her "victory pose", the one she does when you beat a stage.

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Speaking of Ronald's sprites, could his item crash be something like Shanoa's Grando crash? He already has the sparkles as his normal.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
But what pose would he make to make a Grando-like item crash? Best I can imagine is him throwing the sparkle upwards, but a pose like that, the item crash would need to keep going up (At least that's what I think).

Offline Miguel

• Respect: +1
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
Here's what I had from before, didn't remember it being this incomplete but its a start:

NOTES:

- EDIT: Completed ripping the walking, running, and death animations. (PC-98 emulators are a pain to rip art from (I still haven't even been able to find the screenshot command for either of the ones I have. Been using PrntScreen to get this art :P)

- For some strange reason Rusty renders all its sprites/backgrounds with the pixels scaled 200% vertically. That why all her sprites look stretched out: its just how they look in game.

- Her sprites are roughly 200% larger than CV Fighter's scale. Not that it matters much since, as Lukmendes said, her sprites are animated rather crudely (Marvel at the lovely alignment of her whip :P)

The Running Jump animation is missing (just run until she gains speed and press the jump button :X )

Offline FinnishFlame

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »
But what pose would he make to make a Grando-like item crash? Best I can imagine is him throwing the sparkle upwards, but a pose like that, the item crash would need to keep going up (At least that's what I think).

What exactly do you mean here? Like a sparkle going upwards, and then raining sparkles, or something else..?

general forums