February 18, 2019, 11:51:51 PM

Author Topic: extremely minor retranslation error  (Read 246 times)

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
extremely minor retranslation error
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
+1
so this is way too minor for the bug report forum but also worth putting someone serio will see instead of just mentioning it in the discord:

though going through and fixing all the official translation fuckups (lol aulin) was a good idea, you did alter something that the official translation got right: イグニズ, shanoa/albus's fire glyph, is in fact meant to be "ignis" rather than "igniz" - for non-english foreign words japanese goes with that language's pronounciation across the board (see also "scarlet johansson" being spelled as "scarlet yohansson"), and ignis is a latin word (fire) that is pronounced like "igniz", but the spelling with latin/english letters is still ignis. this is incredibly dumb but as someone who took both japanese and latin it bothers me an inordinate amount

tl;dr the fire glyph is spelled ignis

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
Re: extremely minor retranslation error
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:35:15 AM »
This is correct. Also I like the Jap version of Ecclesia because they actually pronounce the Latin names slightly more accurate, though with an accent.
I didn't know there was a discord alive. I have to get out of my coffin more often, lol.

general forums