February 18, 2019, 11:49:57 PM

Author Topic: end of the line  (Read 234 times)

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
end of the line
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:20:13 AM »
so, as you probably noticed, the site and forum has been inactive for a long time. i can't keep working on it anymore, so it's time i stop hoarding the sources thinking "i'll return to this later". it's been over 2 years since i didn't do much with it, so it's time to let go of it. here are the sources.

http://serio.piiym.net/cvbla/sources/

mugen tools:
http://randomselect.piiym.net/tools/

note, i say sources, but it's just mugen. this is the full game, there's nothing to compile. just set it up and run exe to play as usual, it just means the resources are editable now.

to set it up, make a folder for the game, then put the files in appropriate subfolders. !chars.7z goes into chars subfolder. !data.7z goes into data subfolder. !data_Nsound_nomusic.7z, !data_sound.7z, !data_Xsound.7z and !data_sounddemo.7z also go into the data subfolder. !dlls.7z goes into the main game folder. !font.7z goes into font subfolder. !plugins.7z goes into plugins subfolder. !root.7z goes into the main game folder. !sound.7z goes into sound subfolder. !stages.7z goes into stages subfolder. !tools.7z has a bunch of tools used to work on this.

note, if you use a 64 bit system (if you're on windows 10 you likely do, 32 bit systems are dying out fast), a bunch of the tools will no longer work due to being ancient, made for a 16 bit system, and 64 bit windows dropped support for 16 bit programs a long time ago. you can use virtual machine and install a 32 bit windows xp on that to use them, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

this should be all, but if i forgot to upload something, mention it.

the code is stored as plain text, it can be edited with notepad. personally i use notepad++ for coding. it's stored in .def and .st files. files such as .lua, .vert and .frag are a part of mugen 1.1's planned enhanced code, but they don't do much since the mugen engine was abandoned in mid development years ago. editing them will probably not do much except breaking mugen 1.1.

sff and snd files are opened with tools such as MCM 2.0 (mugen character maker, available on the randomselect link above).
.sne is what i used to assemble sound files manually, but mcm can do it just as well. it doesn't sort the files, so they'll be appended at the very end. i used them to sort the files for easier searching, the tools that did it are command line (sndmaker.exe < .sne file). you'd have to extract all the files and rename them properly for the command line to work though. 32 bit version of sndmaker is in font.7z, and in the default mugen tools for mugen 1.0 if you can find that.
all sprites need to be 8 bit palettized with the first color being transparent, and for characters they all need to use a uniform palette, since the act files will swap that palette with themselves. 1.1 also supports 32 bit files, but older mugens won't run it, and the new sff container's format is unreadable by most of the existing tools. you'll need to learn how to code for mugen to deal with this.

act files are photoshop palettes. i would normally make them with paint shop pro, then convert the palettes, but any other way is also fine. i left a few tools in the tools.7z archive, a good one is pic2act.

CVBLA Credits Maker.exe simply generates a picture for credits from a text file (credits.txt, but it can take any text file), which can then be inserted into credits.sff to update the credits. remember to make a proper palette for it, the magenta background must have index 0 to be invisible.

as this will be open now, you can ignore the soundd.snd in data folder. this was used for the public copy of the game, and didn't have all the unused music files and test tracks in them to reduce download filesize. Xsound.snd has the higher quality music (22 khz 16 bit stereo as opposed to 11 khz 8 bit mono), just replace sound.snd with xsound.snd to use. highest quality (44 khz 16 bit stereo) is impossible, it requires far too much ram which a 32 bit application like mugen can't run. the 1.0 and 1.1 exes i supplied are modified to be large address aware which means they can use up to 3.5 gb of ram as opposed to the default 2 gb most 32 bit applications have, but highest quality music needs well over 4 gb.
nsound.snd is for no music, sound effect only mode. do the same as with xsound.snd, rename it to sound.snd to remove music.

i left the debug option active. if you want to remove it, go into data folder and simply rename debug.st into something else and replace it with debugn.st. there's additional debugging available, to enable it open player.st, find
Code: [Select]
[State *];internal debug mode, for testing crap. disable this before releases, it enables a lot of unwanted stuff. and below it comment out
triggerall=0 to enable it. ingame it will show a message on top when it's active. it's mainly used to test situational things, make them always happen and such. it spawns a sprite with id 100020003000, and then if detection code for it
triggerall=numexplod(100020003000)||enemy,numexplod(100020003000)is present in whatever needs to be tested, it will activate.

good luck figuring out the mess that is my code. i didn't keep much notes, by now even i forgot how some things worked.

i'm not planning to close this board, so it can still be used if someone decides to take over and maintain/expand this game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:15:16 PM by s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖ »
Dracula was here

Offline Frikman

• i'm a llama. hell yeah
  • Respect: 0
Re: end of the line
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:01:30 AM »
aw man you gotta be kidding me that the day I decide to check back on this it just died.

Thanks for everything serio, you've delivered the best cv fangame that Konami never gave us. I have really good memories about this project and it's people, and words probably can't describe how happy it has made me over the years.

See you space cowboy

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
Sad to see it go, but I'd also like to extend my thanks for bringing us this project!

Whether anyone will pick the project back up after this, I don't know, but I'll be willing to help out.

Offline Lukmendes

• giga member
  • llamas of shadow
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:41:52 PM »
Well, it's unfortunate that it's ending, but I can understand, so many years working on it, anyone would eventualy drop it, kudos to you for doing it for so long.

This game, honestly, it's special to me, while I don't really play it much nowadays, but back when I started? Pretty much everyday, every week at the very most, there are very few games that I played for more than a year so much, having so many characters who, while they generaly share the same defensive options, they still differ with the offensive ones, and the fun and frenetic boss battles, the small changes that matter in matchups, those things really helped to keep the game interesting, but even more important than that was Serio himself, willing to listen to suggestions to remove flaws around, improve characters, bosses, making everything more engaging, fun, fresh, plus the improvements he did himself which were just as good.

Even if the game doesn't get continued by someone else later on, what made it special will always remain, and for that, I'll always be thankful. Thank you Serio for all of this, and for everyone who were alongside this ride as well.

Offline Omega

• Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
The end of an age,huh?It was good while it lasted.this game will always have a special place in my heart.