April 21, 2019, 11:13:59 PM

Author Topic: Story - Grant Danesti  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
Story - Grant Danesti
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
Backstory: (NOT IN THE ACTUAL STORY, just to get some background I kind of constructed)
Young Grant fleed from his duty in the Danesti clan because his father grew more despotic in order to maintain the kingdom, mostly due to the war against Dracula. Grant thought that everyone should make an effort to help everyone and did not believe in 'an almighty king watching over everyone'. His father did not accept this idea and wanted to obtain justice and peace trough absolute control, so finally Grant decided to run away and live free from any bonds of his clan, still fighting Dracula's tyranny by leading a crew of pirates against him. Shortly after, Dracula's minions slaughtered the house of Danesti and when Grant came back for revenge Dracula turned him into a hideous monster...until he was freed by Trevor. Grant and Trevor felt the same for Sypha, but she chose Trevor. Grant felt that he owed his life to Trevor but he despised the idea of Sypha being with anyone other than him (idealistic people and love affairs can be quite incompatible) Grant is not really proud of his past but at the end of the story he decides to rebuild Wallachia and try to make a better world. Also, after his meeting with Astarte he understands that his love for Sypha is selfish and forgives Trevor (and himself)
Note: Grant kind of speaks like in judgement because it's the only refference of his personality that I have, but that can be changed if needed.

Changelog:
(click to show/hide)
GRANT DANESTI'S STORY PART I

INTRODUCTION
(click to show/hide)

[Outside the castle is Aeon (or Germain, if needed)]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant: vs Dario]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Olrox]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Richter]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Shaft]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Medusa]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Astarte/Succubus]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Albus]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Barlowe]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Death]
(click to show/hide)

[Grant vs Dracula]
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:02:57 AM by Malphas »

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
Re: Grant Da'Nasty
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
I quite like several of those conversations.

You might want to check with serio however about the limit of Characters per text box. I believe it was 100, yes? Some of the lines you got are thrice as much.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline VladCT

• turbo member
  • Go home Homura, you're drunk.
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
Dude, this isn't Judgment. As far as I know there won't be any intro battle against Aeon. Also, Astarte isn't a guaranteed encounter, writing character development there isn't exactly a good idea.

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
Dude, this isn't Judgment. As far as I know there won't be any intro battle against Aeon. Also, Astarte isn't a guaranteed encounter, writing character development there isn't exactly a good idea.

Sadly a fault of the current version of mugen ):

I encounter the same problem with my own stories.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
As far as I know there won't be any intro battle against Aeon.
Intri fights were suggested long ago (and in the end... who knows?) so just in case I put this in the dialog, if there is no fight then we can just cut the final part.
Also, Astarte isn't a guaranteed encounter.
I know, that's why I put there Astarte/Succubus. If one of those isn't also a MUST encounter, I thought that Carmilla could also fulfill that role without major changes on the dialog.

You might want to check with serio however about the limit of Characters per text box. I believe it was 100, yes?
I think it can be adapted to cut the sentence and then continue with the same character speaking, right?
Still... is there a limit for the length of the conversations or I can write long stories such as this one?

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
yeah, bosses relying on previous encounters with their story can't work with random ordering. the shaft part'll have to change a bit, he'll need to get his info about grant from somewhere else than olrox since they're in the same order bracket, so shaft can appear before olrox. maybe he could spy on grant when he talks to aeon, then it'd be no problem since the intro stage is guaranteed.

same with albus and barlowe, since you can fight barlowe before albus.

you'll need to add a little bit of story after the enemy's defeated (it's coded that all of them need to use both pre-battle and post-ko story), and either write a post burn-to-ashes text for every single boss in the game, or not use it. (you used it for astarte).

i'll be posting a list of story-enabled bosses soon.

I think it can be adapted to cut the sentence and then continue with the same character speaking, right?
Still... is there a limit for the length of the conversations or I can write long stories such as this one?
100 characters per text box, but they can continue talking on the next one if it's not enough.

hard limit is 20000 characters (spaces and punctuation count) per conversation. that's 200 text boxes max.
Dracula was here

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
Aeon has an optional fight-non fight dialog now.
Fixed (thanks for the idea, btw) Shaft no longer depends on Olrox's encounter.
Also, Albus doesn't want revenge against Barlowe, but against Dracula.
Also also: added post fight stories for all the enemies.
I don't think we'll ever reach 20000 characters per story so we are safe (luckily, that's a lot)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:59:43 PM by Malphas »

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »
[Dracula's monster form loses]
[...]
this isn't possible by the code. only pre and post battle dialogues work, there's no code for battle interrupts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:26:53 AM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »
Can it at least be coded so when Dracula's Monster form loses HE says something like: "ok, now I'm gonna get really serious on you/"player name"
If not, I can simply ommit that part, it was not that important anyways

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
Re: Story - Grant Danesti
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »
Does this story have everything it should? With the recent changes maybe I could add some extra things, but I'm not sure what.
Added a more than questionable Medusa on the second part, just in case.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
Alright, analysis of one of my favorite CV characters' stories.

First of all, I like the way you wrote Grant. A lot. It's accurate to Judgment without being accurate to the stupid parts of Judgment. His speech patterns, his mannerisms, his personality, all perfect. If I were forced to make a complaint, it's that you never managed to work in "I can help you because I am very fast", but that's almost comically nitpicky and probably would have been a negative to most people.

Now, the downsides. I felt like you took way too many liberties with the history of the DaNasty clan (i know that's not what we're going with but i like it better). Of course, that's incredibly hypocritical from the guy who turned Soleil "6 text boxes" Belmont into a troubled young man who revolutionized the bloodline, but still. I would have had Grant wanting to get back into the fray after dedicated himself to rebuilding Wallachia, learning in the end that it's not about strength but about dedication, or something like that. Anyway, your alternate timeline thingy is never brought too much to the forefront, and it's written in a way I can swallow easily. Definitely one of my favorite stories posted so far.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:34:37 AM »
Thanks, awesome feedback! Now I think about it I took even more liberties than with Sonia, which is a bad thing, but I hope I don't need to change too much in order to make it fit more with the canon. I tried to cover pretty much everything I read about Grant to make it accurate just in case, but I may have slipped a few (or a lot) of things, though.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
I removed my second post and put all the story on the first one. Also, I separated it properly now. It should be easier to deal with like this.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »
Me again. I'll soon be reviewing and fixing whatever I can from my old stories so if you have any suggestions now it's the best time to suggest them!

(My Hammer story is basically dead for me because I couldn't quite get the Hammer-esque feeling, but Sonia, Grant and Al will get their share of story fixin')
That's all for now. Happy winter solstice holidays.

general forums