February 18, 2019, 11:53:43 PM

Author Topic: conversation flow  (Read 2747 times)

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
conversation flow
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
warning, long post incoming.

i saw some people trying to deviate from it already and making impossible requests, so i'll put everything here.

when you pick your character, first thing you see is scrolling text. once it scrolls down you get to the gate part. the entrance animation can be changed (like how duke or ronald enter), and after it's over the story begins.

note, each conversation can have up to 20000 characters. that's 200 text boxes, each having 4x25=100 character max. 20000 characters should be more than enough for any conversation, just putting this in here in case someone wanted to write an essay about what is a man.

the first scene, the intro stage can't have a battle. it's just a place where you see some story, then enter the doors.

you can use the player's lines or someone who tags along, like reimu and her little pack of friends. you can also use aeon or saint germain, or even do a small cutscene like someone teleporting in or out. try not to skip the first word with a cutscene though, the textbox just becomes invisible, so if the first scene is a cutscene, the textbox appearance animation won't be visible.

after you enter through the intro's small doors, each time you reach a boss who has story mode enabled, there'll be a story. see *[this thread]* for a list of who can talk and who can't.

first you enter through the boss doors, then once you stop walking, the boss plays his intro. this part can't change.

once it's over, the textbox appears and story begins. this can change. you can use your character and his optional followers, or the boss and any extras he/she could have along (like stella with loretta, when they make in. currently loretta's not ready yet, but write with her in mind, she'll be in eventually. maybe not in beta 5 right away, but sometime down the line). you can also show a quick cutscene, like how when dracula throws his glass down. don't do it during the first line. the textbox will disappear, and you won't be able to skip this part. it'll automatically progress to the next line.

once the conversation ends, the battle begins. there can't be a conversation mid battle (no convo with richter when he does his 'magnificient' speech). once you beat the boss, then they will also converse. if the boss is a player type (richter, albus etc), he can die or stay alive depending from your character's decision. write which it is.

after the boss burns away/disappears, the character can comment/talk to his followers a bit further, if they have the storyline content for it. if they don't, they'll just skip over that part and go straight to victory pose.

note: it's possible to skip all of those now, so you could have no intro but defeated script, or intro and post death but no defeated. when you write a "character dies" kind of thing, it switches from the pre-death script to post death one.

carmilla:
the teleport in is scripted, don't put anything before that. you can only change the part where she stands in human form, after she starts transforming you can't affect it.

after defeat she transforms back and falls down, and only after that you can start the conversation. after conversation she burns, after that the comment's possible.

olrox:
the run in and olrox lighting up the room is scripted, don't try to put anything before it.
the scene where he invites you to sit can be played during the conversation as a cutscene thing, you can decide after which line he invites character to sit, if at all. if not, it can be skipped too.
only alucard and soma can sit, nobody else has sprites for that so they taunt him instead. you can choose to taunt or not i guess, if character has good sprites for that)

if you want your character to sit on the chair, draw sprites for that. lol. just 3 actual sprites should be enough, one for "moving towards chair", one transition and one for sitting on it. you can add frills to the sitting sprite like falling cape or putting leg on other leg like alucard does. try to make it so that the 'seat' part (where character sits) is 16 pixels off the ground.

after defeat olrox falls and kneels down, and after conversation burns. once i add second form, it'll revert back to human form before the conversation. he'll only die in second form in story-less modes.

dracula:
the battle begins and ends the same, walk in, textbox appears, story here, throw glass (either after or during conversation), get up+teleport (same deal as before), fight all forms, defeat dracula, second conversation, dracula burns and dies.

there's no actual after boss conversation for him. instead, after that the character runs out of the castle. this is mandatory for everyone btw, this part of storyline can't be skipped.

while he's on the cliff and after the castle collapses, another textbox appears, and the same deal as during the intro plays. character, any accompanying characters, and aeon/germain/renon. optionally a cutscene's possible during it, like if someone teleports/walks in or out.

the extra character has to both enter and leave before the conversation fully ends, once the player starts walking away for good it's too late, and the other character won't be going away.

the player can leave during the cutscene, with some story pieces in the textbox following in case you wanted to make the extra/followers to leave a second or so after the player.

after the conversation, the character walks away from the cliff if he didn't already. the screen darkens, and epilogue text starts scrolling, same deal as during prologue. after epilogue scroll ends, it fades out and goes into credits.

edit: reworded this a bit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:38:43 PM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
Re: conversation flow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »
Very Handy information here Serio.

Naturally I'll have to rewrite the stories I've already got done to accommodate the limitations.

Just a quick question however. Can a death animation play during a cut scene?
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
nope.  that's what the second part, the after death comment's for. if you want your character to finish their thoughts on the boss after it burns up, you use that , but then you have to write it for everyone. nope. not anymore.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:17:58 AM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »
Since Olrox invites you to sit down, could we make a reference to Bram Stocker's Dracula by making him say something like:
Stay here by your own will. Sit for a while and leave some of the happiness you bring.
I think it would be a wonderful add.

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »
that's up to the writer, if they can make it work then go ahead.

lol late post.

edit:
this can't be disabled right now, if one character has a story vs a specific boss, every other character will need to be updated to also talk to that boss. so try to avoid adding conversations with small fry like cerberus, gergoth and other beasts.
just wanted to notify, this is no longer the case. i redid the code a bit, and now if the character has a story text present in their files, they'll play it. if they don't, storyline'll be automatically skipped.

it only checks for the first line of the first textbox, but that's enough. as long as it exists, even if it's completely blank, story'll play. and obviously, if it's missing, storyline stuff'll be skipped over as if it was never there.

so, for example frog could have a storyline vs blackmore, or sakuya vs zephyr, and nobody else would need to follow this, since if they don't have the text for it the story'll be auto-skipped when they encounter/defeat him.

the same goes for each part of the story btw. if there's no post battle text, it'll be skipped. if there's no intro text, it'll be skipped. and so on.

the only things that can't be skipped are the prologue, intro stage conversation with aeon/germain, post-dracula cliff conversation and epilogue.

this allows for more personalized, unique stories, without fluff encounters and talk where characters just go "imma kill you, har har har! no u, die monster you dont belong in this world" or such because they'd normally have nothing to talk about or say to each other.

btw. with this, you can now decide if you want to have a monologue/aeon story in aguni battle or not, and if you want characters to say something post battle or not.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:25:54 AM by serio »
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
that's up to the writer, if they can make it work then go ahead.

edit:just wanted to notify, this is no longer the case.

btw. with this, you can now decide if you want to have a monologue/aeon story in aguni battle or not, and if you want characters to say something post battle or not.

WOOT! I can re-introduce the Aguni monologue i had for Sakuya. (I also finished all my exams, so I'll get to work on writing more parts of Sakuya's story)
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
  • My eyes can see everything.
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Wow this is GREAT! Am I the only one who thinks it's too good to be true?

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »
Well, if anyone wants to revise their stories, now would be the time. This opens up a lot of the writing possibilities anyway, without shoehorning in pointless boss banter for those who don't want to write for certain cretins. :]
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
there's no actual after boss conversation for him. instead, after that the character runs out of the castle. this is mandatory for everyone btw, this part of storyline can't be skipped.

So, master skeleton can't just stay there as the castle crumbles?

What if that mandatory scene was played but without any character running away? Like:
Skeleton stays on top, then empty scene with the many crumbling areas, then cliff.

I know it's mean but I kinda like that bittersweet ending.

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
it should be possible to override that for the skeleton.
Dracula was here

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Neat! Thanks.

general forums