February 18, 2019, 11:54:07 PM

Author Topic: Character to Character Banter at the castle gate???  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Rukifellth

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: +20
Character to Character Banter at the castle gate???
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
I had an idea.

What if, at the castle entrance, there would be 3 or more other playable characters to talk to. Randomly selected ofcourse. This could be used to explore the "what happens when these guys meet???" and could be pretty fun if used right.

Some examples:

Carrie and Nathan:
(click to show/hide)

Simon and Maxim
(click to show/hide)

Young Maria and Sypha
(click to show/hide)

Simon and Grant
(click to show/hide)

Simon and Alucard:
(click to show/hide)

Johnathan and Charlotte
(click to show/hide)

Alucard and Adult Maria
(click to show/hide)

Richter and Dracula
(click to show/hide)

Grant and Hammer
(click to show/hide)

What do you think?

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
Re: Character to Character Banter at the castle gate???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I've wanted an excuse to write character-to-character dialogue for a while now.

Offline Pasta

• Hikari are!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Love the idea, but it would be more like a fanfic, and thus It may be not accepted. Also, I think MUGEN limitations can't let you do that, every character has a limited number of "companion" and so, can't talk to that many people in the castle gate.

Also, again with the rip-off lines.
Though those were an example, so it's not a big deal. Still I really hated those judgement lines

EDIT: Now that I think about it... Wouldn't that ruin the stories? Like for example the impression of some characters encountering Richter later on. Or in general all the player-bosses versions?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:55:43 PM by Pasta »
"Let there be light"

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:20:17 AM »
This kind of brings to mind two things I'd like to do that have been briefly discussed on the board. One is having a different shopkeeper for each character (so long as they have an appropriate character to be matched with, such as Vincent for Jonathan or Master Librarian for Alucard), and the other would be having stories for co-op mode.

While I think the first one might be possible, I believe Serio said at one point that doing co-op stories would be impossible for the game's engine unfortunately. I think it would be cool to have people collaborate on stories like that.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this particular idea, and I'm not very fond of the sample conversations you've posted here.

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
shopkeeper would be kinda possible, at least in the shop. the initial intro stage has only 5 character slots, 3 of them already taken, so you could fit 2 extra shopkeepers at most. if the shopkeeper went to character's portraits, you could have unique one for everyone, but then your character would be only limited to 4 slots.

coop mode won't be possible, because of the same limitation. p1 plays out the entire storyline, so while he has access to his portraits and to enemy's through a workaround, he wouldn't be able to call his partner's portrait.
Dracula was here

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
shopkeeper would be kinda possible, at least in the shop. the initial intro stage has only 5 character slots, 3 of them already taken, so you could fit 2 extra shopkeepers at most. if the shopkeeper went to character's portraits, you could have unique one for everyone, but then your character would be only limited to 4 slots.

What would the other slots normally be used for? Characters aren't going to have portraits for different emotions, are they? I guess I can see if someone has additional characters along for the ride (i.e. Reimu), that would take up slots, and maybe the conversation with Aeon/Germain for the Aguni battle. Other than that, it seems like having a unique shopkeeper wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Unless that means that for one person to have a unique shopkeeper everyone would have to...

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
everyone would have to, yeah. i'd have to use a dedicated slot for that to work right, even if most of the people would get renon there and it'd only be used during intro and possibly ending.

and yeah, the slots are for ones like reimu or stella who take others with them. aeon/germain/renon are in enemy files (intro, aguni, dracula/soma), so they don't waste character slots.
Dracula was here

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
Alright. Even so, I think it might still work. Unless something unforeseen comes along, Reimu is the one who'd have the most portraits and she currently stands at 3. That leaves room for a shopkeeper, and even an additional character for her story (say, if Yukari appeared as part of how Reimu got to this dimension in the first place).

Offline SomaCruz1998

• Your friendly neighbourhood weaboo.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
I'd like to know what Richter will say when he meets Julius.)
That feeling you get, when you've just beaten Death Boss Rush in Bloodlines with no damage and no subs... Yes... That feeling...

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
The most powerful vampire hunters ever gather and assault the most powerful Castlevania ever to destroy the most powerful Dracula ever.
And then two of them stand still at the entrance doing nothing. I picture it like this:
(click to show/hide)
Now seriously, I think it's making things overcomplicated. It makes more sense that as soon as you come in you burst into the castle just like all the others did. There is no time to lose, Dracula is destroying the multiverse!!
I see no reason for any other vampire hunter to stay outside unless they...
A: Follow you inside and get lost
B: You follow them inside and you get lost.
C: They can not open the door for X reason, but it opens to you. (locking the main entrance, why didn't Dracula think about that before!)

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
+1
The idea is that the various heroes (many of whom have been snatched out of time with no warning) need a moment to regroup and assess the situation. And that's not even getting into cameo characters who aren't necessarily even entirely clear on what this place is.

Offline SomaCruz1998

• Your friendly neighbourhood weaboo.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
The idea is that the various heroes (many of whom have been snatched out of time with no warning) need a moment to regroup and assess the situation. And that's not even getting into cameo characters who aren't necessarily even entirely clear on what this place is.
Sure they'll need. Also St. Germain will first instruct the player instead of just throwing him to the gates of hell.
How will you like that:
(click to show/hide)
Well SOME PAIRS certainly need no conversations since they know each other already.
Like Julius with Yoko or Richter with Maria. But pairs that never met each other may have these lines.
A little example.
(click to show/hide)
To have that thing implemented we should first finish the FULL WORK with the game and write scripts for all chars.
That feeling you get, when you've just beaten Death Boss Rush in Bloodlines with no damage and no subs... Yes... That feeling...

Offline Pasta

• Hikari are!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
It would be troublesome... really. Just think about it. The courrent stories would be pretty messed up and also, the engine can't hold it.
"Let there be light"

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
i wouldn't be able to display their portraits/names, unless they were pre-defined in the storyline and used up one/two of player's portrait slots to simulate this it won't work.

there's just 5 slots, usually 1-3 are taken by player and his followers, so around 2 are left. if the custom shopkeeper idea went through, that'd be another used up slot.

maybe i should recode the portrait/name placement to expand this from 5 to 10 slots.
Dracula was here

Offline The_Debugger

• Thats a niccccccceee life you got there... sssssss
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 06:05:58 AM »
I like it when it comes to an awnkward CO-OP moment this would work out well on the prologue TBH

Would like to bypass those limitations somehow
Steam profile: =A0G= The Forgotten One
Currently at university
Will do any kind of job for something that is not money
P.D. Fuck Death chain attacks

general forums