February 18, 2019, 11:48:35 PM

Author Topic: Bosses and stories  (Read 10080 times)

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
Bosses and stories
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
WARNING: Huge post.
I created this topic for the sake of consistence in the many stories, since it feels a bit odd that the same bosses/characters act totally different in some story ideas. So, here is my take on some of the main bosses and in some of the characters I worked on (except Grant and Richter, which are only really extra ideas, for I know there's already someone working on them)
in this topic, we can all add our ideas about the mottoes and personalities of the  bosses so in the end we kind of take the parts we most like of everything and create the ultimate personality for the many bosses of the game. Hope to see more ideas soon since I don't know much about some of the characters I wrote about.

BOSSES

Richter doppel/Evil Richter: He fears nothing; he is obsessed with this final fight agains Dracula to the point that he will not allow anyone to confront the Count until he becomes too strong for anyone to defeat. Then, Richter will reach the throne room and try to destroy him (although by that time the world will already be destroyed and he will save no one) Also, evil Richter enjoys fighting strong opponents, and will challenge any monster or human who crosses his path inside the citadel (that's why when he meets werewolf player he will look exhilarated and when he meets young maria he will look disappointed)
Interesting enemy: Werewolf, because it was one of the epic battles Richter had to fight, so he knows that wolfie is strong and feels a bit nostalgic about fighting him again, lol.
Possible quote: 'You are not worhy to fight the Count, but if you have come this far then you might be strong enough to confront me. Do not dare to disappoint me or I will crush you!'

The uber- Count: He has never been defeated and now he is stronger than ever, so it's normal for him to be a very proud person who will see any hero merely as an entertainment before his decisive victory. Moreover, he will try to make the heroes doubt about themselves. This Dark Lord is a bitter nest of hatred more powerful and more ruthless than ever and has become truly the incarnation of evil. Chaos and him are the same. If he is defeated, he will try to convince the other that the ultimate victory is his (kind of like a you have defeated me this time, but you haven't solved anything; your life is still pathetic and I will return, so you've just wasted your time)
He is not just a very strong monster, but also was a great tactician so it makes sense that he makes intelligent remarks about the motto of the heroes.
Interesting enemies: Anyone.
Possible quotes: I must admit that I was impressed to see that someone had made it this far, but now I see you before me I am rather unamused. You claim to fight for love yet your whip was imbued with the power of hatred, which can only make me stronger! Are trying to defeat me with a small part of my true power? How absurd. But since you have managed to come this far, you have earned the right to be slain by the Dark Lord... and it's consequences.

Olrox: This character is complicated. He will act like a gentleman, often master of double entendre, giving the player some advice, such as how to reach the throne faster. There are two reasons why he would do that:
The first one is that Olrox secretly despises Drac and would love to take his place, but he has no Death, no crimson stone and no power to openly challenge him, so he kind of works for the count while plotting against him (sometimes he will give you some hints that Dracula and him are not really superbestfriendsforever) The second one is that behind his visage of well mannered vampire Olrox is a cruel monster who loves to know well his victims just to be sure of what kind of pure being he is going to corrupt and destroy and also to give the heroes hope and then shatter it before them, like opening the door for someone and then shutting it close right on their noses. (such a nice guy Ol, really)
Interesting enemy: Alucard (because it's always sweet to kill your son's boss in revenge)
Possible quote: You may think that after this small conversation I will simply let you find the Count and confront him, but with your power I doubt you will even reach the throne room alive. I will stop you here, for I would rather confront you than face the wrath of my... Master, for now.

Shaft: He is a total fanatic who wouldn't mind dying just for the sake of the plan, for he knows that if the Count succeeds everything will eventually perish. He wants the world to be purified with chaos and destruction as the Count becomes an undead God. Shaft is a very intelligent manipulative man and he may even try to corrupt the heroes with his mischievous words. Also, the villains are not aware of the extent of the time-rift, but Shaft is clever enough to figure out when a character comes from another dimension and will notice it quickly.
Interesting enemies: Richter, because he already fell under his spell once. Also, skeleton, werewolf, axe armor and Persephone would be interesting, since they are (or were) minions of Dracula.
Possible quote: This world will soon be cleansed in the forge of chaos, but it is not enough. Everything shall wither and perish under my Lord's command, and only then the world's primordial purity will return in the form of a lifeless perfect ode to non-existence!!

Barlowe: He shares Shaft's vision of purge the world but he is not as extremist. He thinks that the rise of Dracula will eventually unite all mankind and even if it's under the Count's iron fist, people will love one another and won't have time for wars or petty fights. This idea is a bit foolish gives us a hint that Barlowe is only a misguided idealistic person with a crazy unfulfillable dream and in spite of he is not aware of it, Barlowe is only one of the many peons willing to kill and to die to serve the Dark Lord. Nevertheless he is an evil character and is proud of it as long as it serves his final purpose.
Interesting enemies: Shanoa and Albus, Since it is always cool to see a final confrontation between master and student.
Possible quote: 'Fool! You don't understand anything! I have lived enough to see that it's in the worst situations where humankind shines most and that is why Dracula must live.. and you must die!!'

Medusa: She was once the most beautiful lady. Now that she has lost her charm is totally obsessed with beauty, since it was 'unfairly taken from her'. She will often admire the handsome being that is before ther but will hate the changing movement, or the breathing of her victim. Sometimes, she will even offer the heroes to freely become a statue, to freeze the beauty of their forms for all eternity. She is kind of crazy and merry all the time, but mention just once that she is a monster or she is no longer beautiful and she will be mad angry.
Interesting enemies: Any handsome character.
Possible quote: You have such beautiful features... but you breath, you move, you change your expression!! It is so disgusting!! But don't worry, soon I will fix that... with a single gaze!'

Dario Bossi: He was the Dark Lord, he had acquired unbelievable powers... and then, in their final fight, Soma used a petty trick to kill the demon inside Dario and leave him powerless. He felt impotent, weak... and wanted revenge. When he was dragged inside the Void of time, he swore loyalty to Dracula and his powers were restored. Now, controlled by the Dark Lord, his thirst for vengeance burns inside him stronger than ever, and will wait for Soma to finish the fight they started; this time Soma won't be able to use any tricks! Note that he no longer wants to be the Dark Lord, for now he has seen the true Dracula he is afraid of him, Dario now wants only to kill Soma.
Interesting enemy: Soma, duh...
Possible quote: I won't forgive you what you did last time! I was the one, I was more powerful than you or that idiot Dimitri will ever be!!! The true Dark Lord!! And you did not even dare to fight like a man! You ... you humiliated ME...!! Last time we met you just used some stupid magic trick to steal my powers, but this time you've got no chance, punk, I'll burn you to ashes before you can even blink!!

Death: Eternal, as it is, knows that final victory is always for it. But Death is not exactly eager to bother with a pointless fight, for nobody can defeat it nor it's Master. it will try to convince the heroes that it is useless to fight against a being so powerful as itself, and eventually, when the discussion becomes too bothersome for it, Death will stop wasting time and destroy anyone who confronts it. Also, there is a strong friendship between Dracula and Death, so it will not be easy for it to confront another Dracula since it will still be the image of his best friend.
Interesting enemies: Death/Aeon/Germain, (Aeon and Germain because they are beings whose sole existence defies Death's powers. Death because... there can only be one!)
Possible quote: Note the absurdity of your ways: you are fighting Death itself. Only Lord Dracula has more power than me and I shall not let anyone disturb him until our plans have succeeded. I am not in hurry of obtaining your soul, but if you are so eager to throw your life away, I have no objections about it. You soon shall regret your choice!

Carmilla: Carmilla is 'sexy and she knows it'. She is aware that no human can resist her charm and feels playful about it. Also, she will try to convince the heroes that it is too late for them and try to torment them more. For example, in Hammer's story she says: ''well, you defeated me but by the time you arrive it will be too late for Yoko'' which means that even when she dies she is happy to plant the seed of despair in the spirit of the hero who defeated her) Appart from her hatred towards werewolves, what is more remarkable about her is her devotion towards Dracula, the only one she admires and respects.
Interesting enemies: Death, because a skeleton with a tunic is more important for Dracula than she is.
Possible Quotes: Well, well... what do we have here? You look so energic and alive it makes me thirst for your blood even more! It could be funny to play with you for a while my Lord's power keeps growing! So, are you ready for it? I'm sure we will both enjoy this!

Brauner: This character is desperate. He believes that once Dracula gathers enough power he will resurrect his daughters, and even if he doesn't believe much in Dracula's words, he thinks that it is the only thing he can do to save them and it's the perfect excuse to take revenge against humankind. Brauner is sick of the cruelty that humans have unleashed upon themselves, and now he believes that only under the realm of Dracula he and the ones he loves can be happy. This is however a delusional idea that in the end he knows it's not true.
Interesting enemies: Sisters (because he thinks they are his lost daughters)
Possible quotes: It was not Dracula's cruelty who took the life of my daughters, but humankind's! I will not allow humans to rise again and provoke another bloodshed, even if I must serve Dracula to do so. My Lord has promised me that once he has gathered enough power my daughters will come to life. I will do anything for them, you hear me?! Your journey ends here!!

CHARACTERS:

Richter Good: It's similar to doppel Richter. He doesn't want to admit it, but he enjoyed going trough the castle and defeating the count in a glorious battle. He believed himself to be the ultimate vampire hunter and used to be much more arrogant in that aspect, but since Shaft used this to control him he is now aware of his foolishness in the past and wants to eliminate this dark side of himself, which won't let him unleash the full power of the vampire killer. When he confronts doppel-Richter he feels that the darkness within has disappeared and feels strong again to fight the Count and destroy him.. this time forever.
Interesting enemy: Richter boss, for obvious reasons.
Possible quote: 'I would lie if I told you that I did not strive for this encounter, but that was because mankind was not yet free from darkness! I know you are stronger than before, but so am I. This time I will destroy you forever and the Belmont clan will be free from it's cursed destiny!

Hammer: This guy is foolishly in love and can not see anything beyond 'Yoko's starlit eyes' He will rush into the castle, ignoring every dangerous situation as if it didn't exist or will even try to avoid the fight in order to get to Yoko as quick as he can. Nevertheless, I would like to give some hints that he had been in the Demon Castle Wars and that he is a survivor like no other, and a really tough guy when he gets serious.
Interesting enemy: evil Julius, because he always saw him as a rival for Yoko's heart and they might have lots of things to speak about.
Possible quote: 'Dammit! I must dispatch those guys quickly or I will never get to Yoko. Hold on, my love, here I come!!

Sonya: She fights darkness and thinks it is her duty to defeat the Count as many times as necessary. Nevertheless she has been expelled by the people she saved and her love is in an eternal slumber, so she feels a bit discouraged about her life in general. Nevertheless she still sees herself as the only one who can defeat Dracula and feels that it is her duty to use her power to fight darkness. When she has to completely destroy Alucard (in my story) she has lost basically everything and she can not bear it anymore: she decides to kill Dracula and seal it's powers forever, even at the cost of her life. She no longer cares if she lives or dies in the end, there is only that last thing to do for her.
Interesting enemy: evil Al.
Possible quote: I already lost everything, Dark Lord, you can no longer take anything valuable from me, not even life. After all I lost I feel no longer alive, I am just a will, a vengeful spirit that moves only for the sole purpose of destroying you forever!!

Grant: His family was murdered, he was turned into a monster (for a while) and when life seemed to smile upon him, Trevor gets the girl and there is a stronger Drac waiting for him. Any other man would be discouraged, but not Grant: he takes it all with great sense of humor and keeps going forward with no fears or worries. He often makes puns about his situation and mocks everyone and everything. In the past, his family were nobles with their own feud that rivalled Dracula and did not approve his cruel ways, and so they were punished for it. Grant was kind of the black sheep of the family, since he was not too eager to participate in those affairs. In the end of Judgement, he becomes a Major and starts rebuilding so we could make that in our ending he retakes the family tradition and becomes a nice feudal lord, or a major.
Interesting enemy: Drac, because he is the origin of most of Grant's troubles.
Possible quote: 'You are the Count, huh? No wonder why the ceiling's so tall. You've killed me in your world but I also killed you in mine, so you better be ready for a tie-breaker match, fiend, let's see if you're quick enough to get me!'
Note- I read a bit about the historic past of Danesti's family, that's why I made Grant's story a bit weird

Hope it's useful. Looking forward for more ideas!

Offline IceWolf

• Reality Compromised
  • Respect: +1
Re: Bosses and stories
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
pretty good so far, but I'd add Nathan and Hugh to carmilla's "interesting ennemies".
I'd love to help out but heh, I'm probably not good enough in english. keep up the good work.

Offline Undead

• Foolishness Dracula, foolishness.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
It looks delightful the way you pictured the characters and bosses. However, IMO, Richter looks troubled with himself during practicaly the whole story. Richter IS the best vampire killer, period. I think his issues with power-greed has already been solved after Alucard defeated him in SOTN, I know he was being controled, however he was not blind or 'sleeping' inside his flesh to not see what was going on. He also have the company of other Belmonts, meaning this superego selfishness of his inexistent.

Then, you suggest Evil Julius and Evil Alucard? For me it would be awesome to Fight Julius in 'Arcade' mode since hes none but the man who destroyed 1999 Dracula. But isn't Richter already there for the "Belmont/Power test Confrontation"? For Alucard I just don't know really, I have no formed oppinion on a fight with him, also, I hate his 'AI', it would be a very boring fight, since all he does when he fights (at least with me) is the Wing-Smash command.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:11:25 PM by Undead »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »
It may be a good idea to wait a while for Morrison to become free enough to be active on the forums - I think he'd be the best person to sort out what the "official" viewpoints on the characters should be.

I vaguely remember reading on the text board that some of the mods didn't like the idea of Hammer being DoS-style silly and hopelessly in love, but I could be wrong.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
Now you mention it I think I should make some changes: in the end of SotN Richter was a bit "how could I have fallen for this" but also, it's not that Richter was power hungry, but that he sought strong opponents because he IS the ultimate vampire killer. Richter had been training all his life to defeat Dracula and so he did it... and that was it: his role was over. What need for the shepherd when wolves have all gone? is really a nice quote to capture the feeling of being dislocated after fulfilling your goals. Richter felt that he was no longer needed and that made him question himself, feel with no purpose. After SotN he realised that Shaft used this void (or darkness) inside himself to control him and since Alucard killed Shaft... well; no man, no problem. True he wouldn't be controlled because of this issue anymore, but it was still a fact that he felt somehow dislocated. In this story, after defeating evil Richter, he would feel relieved and would think something like: ''well, now I understand. It's ok; I'll live happily with Annette/help society/ train another Belmont/become a Pokemon master/whatever... but it's not that I live only for destroying Dracula, I'm more than just this.'' That makes this void disappear and then Richter can fight Dracula without worrying about it, and therefore unleashing his full power. It's like after SotN Richter becomes in peace with himself, redeems his SotN past and fights the strongest vampire ever. I would see a movie like that, lol.
Also, someone said something about Hugh and Julius having a boss version, but now I can't remember if it was definitely confirmed. As for Alucard, someone suggested him as a boss, and I recall giving some ideas to add him more bosslike attacks.

About Hammer... I wrote a story that revolved around him entering though Aeon's portal to find Yoko (she was the true chosen one and he was just an extra who was nearby) but in the end he has to make his way to the throne and fight Dracula. I wrote a few stories for this game and I think Sonya's and Hammer's got accepted. But if that not the case at least I'll try to give a few ideas if I can. Anyways, as rasgar said, better wait for Morrison to know better the official viewpoints.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by Malphas »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
About Hammer... I wrote a story that revolved around him entering though Aeon's portal to find Yoko (she was the true chosen one and he was just an extra who was nearby) but in the end he has to make his way to the throne and fight Dracula.

Come to think of it, I recall reading that story on the text board. I believe it did get accepted - sorry about that.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
  • My eyes can see everything.
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
One thing that would really be useful (For me it would) is to know who is clearly aware of the dimensional anomaly and who isn't.

Offline Fou-Lu

• Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:52:58 AM »
Neither me nor Serio have approved one single story so far.  I just wanted to clarify that.  One or both us will let you all know if we approve a story.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
Oh, sorry... I was refering to the bosses... Like... Is Uber-Drac aware of the dimensional rift and the heroes slipping in on his castle? I think yes, he is, but I found nowhere something clearly stating this.

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
Oh, sorry... I was refering to the bosses... Like... Is Uber-Drac aware of the dimensional rift and the heroes slipping in on his castle? I think yes, he is, but I found nowhere something clearly stating this.

I'm not sure it's been discussed.  I think that if Uber-Drac were told, "Look, man, you're destroying creation," he'd simply shrug and continue about his business.  So, I guess the short answer is that whether Uber-Dracula knows or not doesn't matter, as it won't change how he operates.  He's too far gone, and probably thinks that he can remake creation in his own image, anyway...which is likely false.  Then again, maybe he's right.  After all, matter isn't ever truly destroyed, it's just transformed.  Then again, we're talking about what amounts to a super-massive black hole, and nothing has been known to escape even a small black hole, so again, he'd likely be wrong.  But that's only assuming that he cares, which he does not.

Aeon and Death are most certainly aware of this.  Saint Germain is aware of this, too.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:23:17 AM by Morrison »

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:02 AM »
Well, I can write with this in mind, but it would be better if I knew... I'll just assume that he doesn't care, then.

For Death and Aeon I have made a pretty cool (On my opinion) way for them to express this.

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Well, I can write with this in mind, but it would be better if I knew... I'll just assume that he doesn't care, then.

Chances are that he just doesn't care.  Let's go with that.

For Death and Aeon I have made a pretty cool (On my opinion) way for them to express this.

Well, Aeon's expressing his view of the universe ending by pulling characters into the offending timeline to deal with the problem.  Boss Death can't do anything to stop it due in part to two things: his contract with Dracula and his weariness.  Death is so much himself that, on some level, even he craves oblivion.  Player Death, on the other hand...his position has been addressed before.

Offline s̻͔̦͔e̫̣̹͕r̤̗̤̥͔i͎̪̳̺̜o̰̜͓̫̺͖

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
he lost everything he loves twice, except the second time was much worse than in the actual timeline. he craved revenge against god, which he thought he got by becoming immortal. he then craved revenge against humanity, which he's been getting for around 400+ years, and not even belmonts were able to stop him and shift his attention and hate towards themselves.

in his mind, he might not care, or even welcome the news if he finds out about it, because the total destruction of the world would be the natural end to both of his revenges, by destroying everything god loved, and driving humanity to extinction, which in his mind could reinforce his belief to continue what he's doing, and eventually his revenge will be complete.

but then, does that make an interesting character? lol
Dracula was here

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:56 AM »
he lost everything he loves twice, except the second time was much worse than in the actual timeline. he craved revenge against god, which he thought he got by becoming immortal. he then craved revenge against humanity, which he's been getting for around 400+ years, and not even belmonts were able to stop him and shift his attention and hate towards themselves.

in his mind, he might not care, or even welcome the news if he finds out about it, because the total destruction of the world would be the natural end to both of his revenges, by destroying everything god loved, and driving humanity to extinction, which in his mind could reinforce his belief to continue what he's doing, and eventually his revenge will be complete.

but then, does that make an interesting character? lol

About as interesting as Heath Ledger's Joker from "The Dark Knight", I'd say.  Most people can't relate to someone who "just wants to watch the world burn", and so they're drawn to that character en masse because it's a truly frightening concept. 

The only difference thematically between Uber-Drac and Ledger's Joker is that we know Uber-Drac's backstory, so it adds a level of humanity to the character.  To expand on what Serio said, his nihilism is born of a pain greater than he can handle, and of such a degree that it can never be alleviated. 

Or, at least, that's what the audience might read into the character.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
In other words. He simply and purely snapped. I fail to understand how he is even able to think logically though (You understood me dude. Think logically as in making sense when speaking, not in as trying to erase everything.)

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:08:43 AM »
In other words. He simply and purely snapped. I fail to understand how he is even able to think logically though (You understood me dude. Think logically as in making sense when speaking, not in as trying to erase everything.)

Some of the most evil and insane human beings in history have been blessed with silver tongues.  Ted Bundy could have run for politcal office.  Henry Lee Lucas was quite the charmer.  And let's not forget Adolf Hitler.

Those familair with these people will generally agree that each was a complete nutter--yet each was a well-spoken nutter.

That said, I don't know if "snapped" quite covers what's happened to Uber-Dracula.  He's snapped, he's been corrupted on a molecular level, he's drunk with power, he's suffering the full pains of immortality (since this Dracula has never needed to call in a resurrection), he's angry beyond human comprehension...he's all of these things and probably more.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:47 AM »
Is it widely accepted here that Death serves a higher power than Dracula, as was hinted on the main canon of the series (Although I don't seem to remember what hints that, specifically)?

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:26 AM »
Is it widely accepted here that Death serves a higher power than Dracula, as was hinted on the main canon of the series (Although I don't seem to remember what hints that, specifically)?

I'm not sure which game suggests that, either, but no.  Well, not quite.

Aeon and Death are in and of themselves created beings, but I can't imagine an instance where that would be explicitly stated.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
Well, I asked because some sources of information (Like TV Tropes) say that Death, in recent games, have dropped hints showing that he serves a force behind Dracula. I wasn't able to reckon and find any true evidence of this, but I did come with a (I have fear to even type this word) theory on what moves him (Outside my Crimson Stone explanation) to serve under Drac. But, as there is no solid proof to that, there rest only theories...

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »
Funny you mention this, because despite the theory "Death is the best friend ever" I also heard somewhere the "Death serves a higher power" one. I also can't recall where, though >__<

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
Well... IF (And only IF) this thing were to be true, I can think no one behind Dracula than God himself.
God commands Death.
It was stated on the Chronicles of Sorrow (But subtetly) that to the universe to be balanced, there must have a being of complete darkness, to oppose a being of complete light. Arikado mentions that, if there is the need for one, one will rise to the position previously occupied by Dracula (As seen on the struggle for the overly complicated named novel despicting the events after DoS, where Olrox gives a shot at taking Castlevania's throne, and being attacked by Death on the process).
The motives for me to believe that he works for God (Remember, we are inside the "IF") is that God needs a being of complete darkness to balance the universe, and he sent Death to ensure that this happens. Death is God's agent for Dracula's ressurrection, and since Dracula is "immortal", it becomes quite an analogy while he is at that.
On my eyes, it would also explain why Death speaks not a single word to Soma. Right off the bat, he knows that Soma is not intended to become the next Dark Lord, because Soma is "divided" in two personalities. Dracula's and himself. Death's job is to ensure that a being of complete darkness exists, and since Soma is not fit for the job, Death will simply kill him and have his soul to reencarnate as a true Dark Lord.

In Serio's game, if this were to be true, Death's story could tell that Death came to face Uber Dracula because the universe is not in balance anymore since Uber Drac became a threat to all of God's creation. But he also have the boss Death, which is the same as player Death, and upon their meeting, it could represent that he is playing both roles he is supposed to play (Dracula's servant and double agent of God). It could go along the lines of "We are here to play our roles, so, may the best of us two have his role fullfilled" or something.

Of course, this is all babbling and you can disregard it (I don't wanna mess with anyone's story u.u). It's just something I'd like to talk about on the bosses part.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:50:33 AM by ThePlotTwist »

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:58 AM »
Well... IF (And only IF) this thing were to be true, I can think no one behind Dracula than God himself.
God commands Death.
It was stated on the Chronicles of Sorrow (But subtetly) that to the universe to be balanced, there must have a being of complete darkness, to oppose a being of complete light. Arikado mentions that, if there is the need for one, one will rise to the position previously occupied by Dracula (As seen on the struggle for the overly complicated named novel despicting the events after DoS, where Olrox gives a shot at taking Castlevania's throne, and being attacked by Death on the process).
The motives for me to believe that he works for God (Remember, we are inside the "IF") is that God needs a being of complete darkness to balance the universe, and he sent Death to ensure that this happens. Death is God's agent for Dracula's ressurrection, and since Dracula is "immortal", it becomes quite an analogy while he is at that.
On my eyes, it would also explain why Death speaks not a single word to Soma. Right off the bat, he knows that Soma is not intended to become the next Dark Lord, because Soma is "divided" in two personalities. Dracula's and himself. Death's job is to ensure that a being of complete darkness exists, and since Soma is not fit for the job, Death will simply kill him and have his soul to reencarnate as a true Dark Lord.

In Serio's game, if this were to be true, Death's story could tell that Death came to face Uber Dracula because the universe is not in balance anymore since Uber Drac became a threat to all of God's creation. But he also have the boss Death, which is the same as player Death, and upon their meeting, it could represent that he is playing both roles he is supposed to play (Dracula's servant and double agent of God). It could go along the lines of "We are here to play our roles, so, may the best of us two have his role fullfilled" or something.

Of course, this is all babbling and you can disregard it (I don't wanna mess with anyone's story u.u). It's just something I'd like to talk about on the bosses part.

There's no evidence for this as far as I know.  It truly is just a theory, and borders on fanon.  The truth is that God just doesn't appear much in Castlevania except when a character (like Mathias) mentions its name.  That's literally it.

As for the premise of Death's story, I mentioned my idea for Death's story in another thread a long time ago.  It was similar to your idea, but deals more with ideology and self-preservation than any concept of a greater deity. 

Honestly, I think you should concentrate on Sypha's story, because it's beginning to feel like you're trying to invent the toaster or the telephone or something else that already exists.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:10:37 AM by Morrison »

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
As someone who hasn't played Circle and doesn't have any particular desire to, what's Necromancer's characterization?

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
How comes "characterization"...? Can you be more specific?

I mean, Necromancer acts much like a blind follower of Dracula who is strong enough to hold the hero until the finish of the "rite", but not enough to actually defeat the hero. Acts boastful, and doesn't truly recognize defeat. Much like a phantom "Shaft x Death mix". But I'd recomend you to read the (short) Castlevania Wiki's info on him (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Necromancer), and watch some vids of his battle to get a better idea.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »
To me, Necromancer would be a magician obsessed with gaining more knowledge and power. His reason to follow Dracula would be similar to that of the devil forgemasters and also to learn and improve more. While he is not one of the major bosses he is very powerful and he knows it... so I think Necromancer would be pretty much as ThePlotTwist said.
Also... we could make some rivalry appear there.
Here are some random suggestions about this:
-Necromancer and Shaft compete for the mastery of dark arts, including the manipulation of souls.
-Carmilla is not a necromancer, but knows a lot about created artificial souls like the golem and maybe the creature.
-Death doesn't like the fact that someone tries to mess with it's own rules. Bringing the dead back to life is acceptable, but playing with this too much may be bothersome (see The Creature or Golem)
For example: in Master Skelly's story Death thinks that M.Skeleton's creation is 'crossing the line', even for Master Necromancer/Shaft.

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »
As someone who hasn't played Circle and doesn't have any particular desire to, what's Necromancer's characterization?

CotM as a whole is pretty bare bones with its characterization. What we can presume based on the game is that Necromancer is a Dracula loyalist, but not much else is established about his motivations, other than securing Dracula's return via that full moon ritual or whatnot. Here's a video for you to take a look at. >_>

Yeah, that's it. Other stuff is by and large speculation, essentially. If it makes any difference though, the Necromancer will be using the visuals from Dracula X/XX on the SNES. :/

"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Morrison

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:38 AM »
CotM as a whole is pretty bare bones with its characterization. What we can presume based on the game is that Necromancer is a Dracula loyalist, but not much else is established about his motivations, other than securing Dracula's return via that full moon ritual or whatnot. Here's a video for you to take a look at. >_>

Yeah, that's it. Other stuff is by and large speculation, essentially. If it makes any difference though, the Necromancer will be using the visuals from Dracula X/XX on the SNES. :/

It seems like the Necromancer was filling Death's typical role in CotM.

Offline (yber])ragon10]{

• LIGHT - [Machine/Effect]
  • "For Everlasting Peace."
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
It seems like the Necromancer was filling Death's typical role in CotM.

Yeah, it makes you wonder why Death is loitering around in the Underground Warehouse really. :/
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »
So he hasn't been added yet, but when he is how are we going to handle Galamoth? He's more than important enough to have dialogue IMO, but why would he be attacking the heroes? He wants to usurp Dracula's throne of darkness, but why did he battle Alucard, and why will he be battling the heroes sent to destroy Uber-Dracula? There are two theories I have: arrogance and target practice. The former means that he doesn't think such pitiful beings are worthy of killing Dracula, and the latter means that he sees the heroes as little more than practice before he fights the big guy. Any other thoughts on this?

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:12 AM »
He wants to usurp Uber-Drac's throne. By having a hero destroy him, it'll mean the erasure of the Uber-Dimension, and thus, the loss of all that accumuled power. He wants to enslave Uber-Drac so that the power gathered is not lost forever, and needs to ensure that he,  and only he, defeats Uber-Drac, so to keep him alive on purpose, enough to absorb the power himself. Thus, he faces the heroes in hopes no one reaches Drac but himself.

Offline Shadowmaster

• Yes.
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
I felt I'd offer my view on some of the bosses here.

Astarte

(click to show/hide)

Necromancer

(click to show/hide)

Blackmore

(click to show/hide)

Zephyr

(click to show/hide)

Puppet Master (?)

(click to show/hide)

Isaac

(click to show/hide)

Dmitrii/Dimitri/Demitri/Whatever

(click to show/hide)

Evil Soma/Somacula (?)

(click to show/hide)

Sorry if I've just restated some of the things that others may have said about these bosses, but I just thought I'd make a few suggestions for bosses whose plots have not yet been really outlined yet.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
He wants to usurp Uber-Drac's throne. By having a hero destroy him, it'll mean the erasure of the Uber-Dimension, and thus, the loss of all that accumuled power. He wants to enslave Uber-Drac so that the power gathered is not lost forever, and needs to ensure that he,  and only he, defeats Uber-Drac, so to keep him alive on purpose, enough to absorb the power himself. Thus, he faces the heroes in hopes no one reaches Drac but himself.
How are you so good at theories? Are you a wizard?

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
How are you so good at theories? Are you a wizard?

Ha, thanks there. Since I think Galamoth is going to be a mute boss, if he ever makes it in, I really see no use for creating a solid background for him, really :\
I'm no wizard, I just twist plots, but I hope I can do so with Sypha and Leon...

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure he'll be speaking. I mean, Medusa is. Galamoth may have never spoken in Symphony, but I think only Death, Richter, and Dracula did, so that doesn't mean much. Plus I think he spoke in Kid Dracula, for whatever that's worth.

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
I felt I'd offer my view on some of the bosses here.

This is actually pretty helpful, in particular for Blackmore and Dmitrii. I couldn't think of anything to write for Blackmore when I was writing stories before.

However, I don't think Isaac really needs to be changed from how he is in CoD. We know that the player versions of all characters will be the same person as the boss versions, so the more sanity Isaac has, the easier it will be to write a story for the player version. Of course, the grasp he has on sanity is already tenuous, and I'm not really sure what his (player) story angle could be considering how devoted he is to Dracula. Perhaps it could be something along the lines of not seeing Uber-Drac as the "real" Dracula, or at least not the one that he's devoted his life to.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 04:22:34 AM »
On Zephyr... I've heard he was based on a character from Fist of the North Star, anyone who watches that know how that guy is characterized?

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
not fotn, jojo's bizarre adventure.

he has some dio brando influences in him, mostly his time stopping and throwing knives stuff. he just needs za wardo, dropping steamrollers and wryyyy to be complete, lol.

also probably much less noticeable, he might have a bit of edward scissorhands in his design, mainly his hands (his in-game files call him edward too).
Dracula was here

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
Galamoth was heavily involved in the story for castlevania judgement.

He was the being who created/hired/enslaved the time reaper from the future.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
But he never spoke, so all that does is enhance the "mad usurper" characterization that was already there.

Also, what's Dio Brando's characterization like? We could easily just transpose that onto Zephyr.

• administrator
  • chaotic member
  • no personal text here.
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
Dracula was here

Offline Pasta

• Hikari are!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
wryyyyy!!
To tell you the true; I became fan of Jojo's Bizarre adventure thanks to you serio. as I was lurking on the text board and saw you mention Dio a lot, I became curious and... well the rest is history.

Back on topic. I think that if zephyr is gonna be Dio's incarnation on castlevania universe, then he must be a vampire like Olrox. I mean, he somehow is "serving" Dracula but he want to be the master, and so he wants a hero to get to Dracula and finish him off for him, then he can get to that hero and kill him by his own hand to become the new dark lord. Also on DoS there was info about him that said that he was friend of the Chrono mage and also said that the chrono mage wanted to stop Soma from reaching the throne/true and becoming the new Dracula, so it would make sense taht Zephyr was actually wanting that to NOT happend because he wanted to become the new Dark Lord.

BTW for the boss, you could add a "facegrab" with time stop like Dio does.
"Let there be light"

Offline Shadowmaster

• Yes.
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Back on topic. I think that if zephyr is gonna be Dio's incarnation on castlevania universe, then he must be a vampire like Olrox. I mean, he somehow is "serving" Dracula but he want to be the master, and so he wants a hero to get to Dracula and finish him off for him, then he can get to that hero and kill him by his own hand to become the new dark lord. Also on DoS there was info about him that said that he was friend of the Chrono mage and also said that the chrono mage wanted to stop Soma from reaching the throne/true and becoming the new Dracula, so it would make sense taht Zephyr was actually wanting that to NOT happend because he wanted to become the new Dark Lord.

I don't think directly copy-pasting the story for Olrox is going to look good, or be original, for Zephyr's character. Two people (Galamoth and Olrox) who want to usurp the throne is enough, I think. As well, nowhere is it stated that the Chronomage wanted to stop Soma from reaching the throne and becoming the new Dracula. All it said is that he tried to "impede Soma's progress", it gave no reasoning for why. Assuming that he tried to stop Soma to prevent him from becoming the Dark Lord is essentially assuming that every single enemy in Aria of Sorrow wanted to stop him for the same reason - and obviously, we know that's not true, considering Death tried to stop Soma as well. I think it's safe to leave the Chronomage's intentions alone, and it's more reasonable to guess that the guy's just a monster allied or working for Dracula that just attacks any visitor he sees, similarly to nearly every monster. And likewise, there's no evidence to suggest that Zephyr has similar intentions.

So, yes, Zephyr being a vampire who wants to usurp the throne really doesn't sound like a good idea, it's already used and has no basis.

Offline Pasta

• Hikari are!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
I'm basing that on Dio's personality. You know he's an ambitious man, and I'm just seeing Zephyr as Dio's incarnation on this universe... though it's not necessary to do it so.
"Let there be light"

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 01:37:59 AM »
I included this already in Al's story, but we should discuss Blackmore's personality before I keep writing about him

Let's see. I see Blackmore as a talented performer, obsessed with perfecting his own skill as a screenwriter and collecting shadows in order to have more 'actors' available for his plays. In my story. he also, refers to God as the 'Divine Screenwriter'.

Basic features for his personality:

1-May mention the classics (or mythology stuff, but this one is pretty much optional)

2-Likes to hear a good story in order to have more material to think about.

3-Attempts to call the attention of the audience (player) promising him a nice play made of shadows (and then taking the player's shadow in order to have more actors to play with)

4-When he dies, he is more worried about not seeing the end of the player's story than about his own destruction.

5-He has a sharp mind, but for him everything spins around two main things: theatre and shadows. He simply does not care about anything else not related to this, but may ask questions about the player's motto/origins/story.

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
+1
Personally, I don't really like the idea. I don't see much of a need to add so much characterization to him with how many other story related bosses we've got. Plus, as far as I can tell, it isn't really grounded in anything.

What we know about him can be pretty much summed up by two things:
1. He can use his own shadow as a weapon, perhaps to take other shadows.
2. He feeds on the essence of souls to live.

Seems to me that the two could be closely related - the act of stealing shadows may go hand-in-hand with stealing souls. How did his shadow get so huge and monstrous? One could assume that since he feeds on the souls, perhaps his shadow feeds on the other shadows, growing larger and more powerful with each kill.

I hope I'm not coming off as abrasive or unkind, or like I'm trying to stifle creativity, but such characterization is unnecessary and strange. A lack of established traits isn't really an excuse - suppose that, in order "flesh out their characters", I decided that the Rebirth Succubus/Draculina uses the blood of her victims to fill up her swimming pool that she uses in her free time, or that Zephyr uses his time powers not only to kill people, but also to be an all-star baseball player? That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »

Seems to me that the two could be closely related - the act of stealing shadows may go hand-in-hand with stealing souls. How did his shadow get so huge and monstrous? One could assume that since he feeds on the souls, perhaps his shadow feeds on the other shadows, growing larger and more powerful with each kill.

And even so, this can only be theoretical. In many cultures, the shadow is a reflex of the true form of something. Applying that to Blackmore could mean that himself is a demon of sorts. We also don't know if he feeds on shadows. All we know is that he steals them. The purpose for it is never clearly stated, besides a flamboyant "I will take your shadow!".

By the way he dresses, he must guise, or be, a nobleman of sorts, (He even looks like an artist, really) but that's all, on what I understand of him.

There are some theories on the internet that he might've been inspired on "Ritchie Blackmore", and the shadow thing coming from his debut album "Shadow of the Moon" (And a song by the same name, whose lyrics closelly remind me of Shanoa). But that, too, is speculation. He's one of those characters too hard to characterize due to lack of information u__u

I hope I'm not coming off as abrasive or unkind, or like I'm trying to stifle creativity, but such characterization is unnecessary and strange. A lack of established traits isn't really an excuse - suppose that, in order "flesh out their characters", I decided that the Rebirth Succubus/Draculina uses the blood of her victims to fill up her swimming pool that she uses in her free time, or that Zephyr uses his time powers not only to kill people, but also to be an all-star baseball player? That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

I'd LOVE to see Zephyr playing baseball xD

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
What in canon suggests Blackmore stealing souls? That's as much fanon as the playwright thing, which is at least kind of supported by his dress.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

Still, it's not at the shadow itself we must look at, but at how the shadow is made. Let me explain:
There is a Chinese technique in theatre which uses puppets and shadows just like Blackmore seems to be doing, whose monstrous shadow follows this design and IMO even resembles a Chinese dragon on steroids.
Look at this picture:
(click to show/hide)
So it's not like I pulled the whole theatre think out of my hat, but then, I used a very western characterization of theatre with him which is a HUGE mistake :/
In fact, I think he's most likely a vampiric creature who uses shadows to feed but I didn't mention that because I'm really not that sure about that, although I think it makes sense because in OoE they already looked into the far East to bring us Jiangshi... and vampires manipulating shadows is something which smells a bit like japanese anime, but it's also true that appears in the original Dracula and Nosferatu movies.

Seems to me that the two could be closely related - the act of stealing shadows may go hand-in-hand with stealing souls. One could assume that since he feeds on the souls, perhaps his shadow feeds on the other shadows, growing larger and more powerful with each kill.
Yep, pretty much.

Zephyr uses his time powers not only to kill people, but also to be an all-star baseball player? That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?
I demand a TVshow about that, lol.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:24:12 PM by Malphas »

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
What in canon suggests Blackmore stealing souls?

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Blackmore#Enemy_Data
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/945837-castlevania-order-of-ecclesia/faqs/54570 (Search for [118C])

Are you splitting hairs, or did you not know about his bestiary entry? I suppose it doesn't say he steals them, maybe he asks his victims nicely or he buys them off of some black market with his hard-earned money.

That's as much fanon as the playwright thing, which is at least kind of supported by his dress.

What, because he dresses like an aristocrat? Dracula's not a playwright, is he? How about Alucard? The dancing ghosts from SCIV?

Still, it's not at the shadow itself we must look at, but at how the shadow is made. Let me explain:
There is a Chinese technique in theatre which uses puppets and shadows just like Blackmore seems to be doing, whose monstrous shadow follows this design and IMO even resembles a Chinese dragon on steroids.

Yeah, I know about shadow puppet theaters. Projecting a shadow and fighting with it doesn't really connect to being a playwright, at least not for me. Zato-1 from Guilty Gear is not a playwright, and neither is that one angel from Evangelion. And neither is Pride from Fullmetal Alchemist. Fighting with a shadow is a relatively common idea in fiction.

Blackmore's shadow always looked like more of a wolf to me.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
Ok, no theatre thing then. Just a mysterious guy who controls shadows. I'll fix that whenever I can.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:51 AM »
I actually didn't know about the bestiary entry. My mistake!

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
I've been thinking about how to characterize Malphas (Karasuman). Obviously he never talks in any of the games and there's little to be learned from his various bestiary entries.

The best we have to go with, I think, is the demon he was likely based on with the same name. What little information we have from the CV wiki and Wikipedia state that he (the demon from mythology, not the CV one) can grant his conjurer the ability to read his enemies' thoughts, and that he will be kind to his conjurer and accept sacrifices in exchange for the abilities he grants, only to deceive the conjurer afterwards.

My thoughts, then, are that he will know the hero's goal when they encounter him, and he will try to convince them to make a deal with him (perhaps give up their soul, kill one of their fellow heroes, I dunno) so that he can grant them the strength to achieve this goal. This goal could be just defeating Dracula, or the hero's personal goal, such as Alucard's desire to stay "human" or Richter's desire for purpose and relevance.

How does this sound?

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
I've been thinking about how to characterize Malphas (Karasuman). Obviously he never talks in any of the games and there's little to be learned from his various bestiary entries.

The best we have to go with, I think, is the demon he was likely based on with the same name. What little information we have from the CV wiki and Wikipedia state that he (the demon from mythology, not the CV one) can grant his conjurer the ability to read his enemies' thoughts, and that he will be kind to his conjurer and accept sacrifices in exchange for the abilities he grants, only to deceive the conjurer afterwards.

My thoughts, then, are that he will know the hero's goal when they encounter him, and he will try to convince them to make a deal with him (perhaps give up their soul, kill one of their fellow heroes, I dunno) so that he can grant them the strength to achieve this goal. This goal could be just defeating Dracula, or the hero's personal goal, such as Alucard's desire to stay "human" or Richter's desire for purpose and relevance.

How does this sound?

Is it absolutelly necessary for him to have a personality at all? Will he be relevant to any story?

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
Is it absolutelly necessary for him to have a personality at all? Will he be relevant to any story?

Not necessary in any way. I just figure since he has the ability to talk (presumably), I may as well write something for him. It won't be required for anyone's stories, so we may end up with Malphas only talking in one or two of them. But I figure I want to try and write at least something for each boss that can talk. I wrote for Medusa, Abaddon, and Balore already.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
Not necessary in any way. I just figure since he has the ability to talk (presumably), I may as well write something for him. It won't be required for anyone's stories, so we may end up with Malphas only talking in one or two of them. But I figure I want to try and write at least something for each boss that can talk. I wrote for Medusa, Abaddon, and Balore already.

Well, I guess it'd be best for us to go with the Ars Goetia definition then, seeing as the only "plot rich" Malphas is the Lords of Shadow one, and it doesn't fit with our Malphas.

And I wrote for Medusa too haha.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
What's your characterization of Abaddon, incidentally? I plan to basically make him evil Jonathan Wocjik.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:03 AM »
I personally wouldn't add voice to Castlevania Malphas. He looks basically as a cool and aggressive man-crow-thing monster instead of like the 'president of hells, builder of towers!' which wikipedia mentions.
(click to show/hide)
I think we should focus on the man-crow thing if we ever gave him personality. The crow itself is in many cultures a trickster spirit, omen of death and prophecy-teller. We could use that to transform our Malphas into the typical fortune-teller that mocks you grimly while speaking in riddles and sentences with double meaning.
---EDIT---
Also Abaddon: a musician, a composer who represents the most ambitious part of human nature. Abaddon is the angel of death, the bringer of destruction. It would be a nice touch if we chained this to creation. He needs death and destruction around him in order to his create music, and no matter how good his piece is, Abaddon always wants more (there's a proverb which says that "destruction never feels satisfied") So, he must destroy more and more in order to reach what he believes will be perfection. With the destruction of the multiverse he can only think about the great piece he will compose when that happens, right after disappearing from existence.

The "Fortissimo!" lines and stuff come from musical language. Fortissimo means very loud intensity
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:56:28 AM by Malphas »

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
I kinda like the bug thing. I dunno where his "Fortissimo!" lines came from, I know quite a bit about demonology and Abaddon has never had anything to do with music.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »
I kinda like the bug thing. I dunno where his "Fortissimo!" lines came from, I know quite a bit about demonology and Abaddon has never had anything to do with music.

Abaddon means "Destroyer" or "Destruction" in hebrew. He is a fallen angel, and will bring the man-faced, scorpion-taled locusts to Earth on the armageddon. The Castlevania interpretation is kind of... Confusing, as I do not see him as a musician, but as a conductor. He is conducting destruction and the end of things. The armageddon is not his piece, but God's. He's part of it, and for things to play out exactly as the armageddon needs, he must do his part which is to conduct destruction, through his locusts.

Just one thing. I'd like to point out that the angel (Archangel, in fact) of Death is Azrael (On hebraic belief and lore), not Abaddon.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:31:26 AM by ThePlotTwist »

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 04:03:47 AM »
Eh, the locusts have always been the big thing to me. And that's not even getting into Abaddon the place. Basically Abaddon is a really confusing demon and his bizarre mishmash of a Castevani version doesn't help.

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
What's your characterization of Abaddon, incidentally? I plan to basically make him evil Jonathan Wocjik.

I'd never heard of Jonathan Wocjik before, but to be honest clicking on that link kinda creeped me out. I'm content to stay in the dark on that one.

Honestly, I didn't put a great deal of thought into it. It's mostly kind of a "You're a monster! I'mma kill you!" "No, I'mma kill YOU!" "Not if I kill you first!" type of thing, with brief mention of his musical aspect and his demonology traits.

The music thing is clearly there, but I agree with Lilfut that the locusts are a bigger aspect. And for an overall description, PlotTwist's really resonates with me. I'm glad you wrote that, I think I'm going to redo the conversation I wrote. I also agree with Malphas's idea of him desiring more and more destruction. When comparing the two ideas, I prefer having him as a conductor rather than a musician.

I personally wouldn't add voice to Castlevania Malphas. He looks basically as a cool and aggressive man-crow-thing monster instead of like the 'president of hells, builder of towers!' which wikipedia mentions.
I think we should focus on the man-crow thing if we ever gave him personality. The crow itself is in many cultures a trickster spirit, omen of death and prophecy-teller. We could use that to transform our Malphas into the typical fortune-teller that mocks you grimly while speaking in riddles and sentences with double meaning.

Yeah, the fortress building thing would be really hard to fit in (and weird), so I just chose to ignore it. It's only one aspect of his anyhow. Plus it's a little hard to characterize him as a "president"/demon lord since CV never even pretends that he's very strong.
Still, I think we may be able to come up with some kind of combination of the two. He can still be a trickster while trying to make a deal for some sort of sacrifice from the hero.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
I do not see him as a musician, but as a conductor. He is conducting destruction and the end of things.
This is an awesome interpretation. I think we should use it as our starting point.

I imagine Abaddon 'listening' to the destruction he creates and feeling some kind of Stendhal syndrome with it. Perfect man for the job of 'the destroyer': not simply an 'Ima kill ya coz I'm da destroya!' type boss but someone who enjoys destruction as any human would enjoy a good piece of music.

The point is that if music was the most enjoyable and pure thing in the world for you and some crazies told you to stop listening music because it is evil, would you? The same goes with Abaddon and destruction.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »
Trust me, Wocjik is well worth reading. Here's a good gateway article, with relevance to the forum to boot!

Offline IceWolf

• Reality Compromised
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
What about the sisters (Boss version) ? is there something agreed on them, like they are possessed, cursed, figthing for their father ?

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
can we not have this huge debate again. i am so sick of hearing about the sisters.

Offline IceWolf

• Reality Compromised
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
apologies if this was discussed before, i just couldn't find it again. i'll take another look.
edit: how could i miss it it's right here in the storyline discussion section.

general forums