February 18, 2019, 11:51:10 PM

Author Topic: Bosses and stories  (Read 10081 times)

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
Re: Bosses and stories
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
What's your characterization of Abaddon, incidentally? I plan to basically make him evil Jonathan Wocjik.

I'd never heard of Jonathan Wocjik before, but to be honest clicking on that link kinda creeped me out. I'm content to stay in the dark on that one.

Honestly, I didn't put a great deal of thought into it. It's mostly kind of a "You're a monster! I'mma kill you!" "No, I'mma kill YOU!" "Not if I kill you first!" type of thing, with brief mention of his musical aspect and his demonology traits.

The music thing is clearly there, but I agree with Lilfut that the locusts are a bigger aspect. And for an overall description, PlotTwist's really resonates with me. I'm glad you wrote that, I think I'm going to redo the conversation I wrote. I also agree with Malphas's idea of him desiring more and more destruction. When comparing the two ideas, I prefer having him as a conductor rather than a musician.

I personally wouldn't add voice to Castlevania Malphas. He looks basically as a cool and aggressive man-crow-thing monster instead of like the 'president of hells, builder of towers!' which wikipedia mentions.
I think we should focus on the man-crow thing if we ever gave him personality. The crow itself is in many cultures a trickster spirit, omen of death and prophecy-teller. We could use that to transform our Malphas into the typical fortune-teller that mocks you grimly while speaking in riddles and sentences with double meaning.

Yeah, the fortress building thing would be really hard to fit in (and weird), so I just chose to ignore it. It's only one aspect of his anyhow. Plus it's a little hard to characterize him as a "president"/demon lord since CV never even pretends that he's very strong.
Still, I think we may be able to come up with some kind of combination of the two. He can still be a trickster while trying to make a deal for some sort of sacrifice from the hero.

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
I do not see him as a musician, but as a conductor. He is conducting destruction and the end of things.
This is an awesome interpretation. I think we should use it as our starting point.

I imagine Abaddon 'listening' to the destruction he creates and feeling some kind of Stendhal syndrome with it. Perfect man for the job of 'the destroyer': not simply an 'Ima kill ya coz I'm da destroya!' type boss but someone who enjoys destruction as any human would enjoy a good piece of music.

The point is that if music was the most enjoyable and pure thing in the world for you and some crazies told you to stop listening music because it is evil, would you? The same goes with Abaddon and destruction.

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »
Trust me, Wocjik is well worth reading. Here's a good gateway article, with relevance to the forum to boot!

Offline IceWolf

• Reality Compromised
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
What about the sisters (Boss version) ? is there something agreed on them, like they are possessed, cursed, figthing for their father ?

Offline Lilfut

• gold member
  • belmont son of belmont
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
can we not have this huge debate again. i am so sick of hearing about the sisters.

Offline IceWolf

• Reality Compromised
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
apologies if this was discussed before, i just couldn't find it again. i'll take another look.
edit: how could i miss it it's right here in the storyline discussion section.