February 18, 2019, 11:47:19 PM

Author Topic: How to include Graham in the story?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline SomaCruz1998

• Your friendly neighbourhood weaboo.
  • Respect: +4
How to include Graham in the story?
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
I'm not sure if he will be implemented or he will be Survival only.
But this little hint may help to decide on his part in the story.
How about:
(click to show/hide)
What do you think?
That feeling you get, when you've just beaten Death Boss Rush in Bloodlines with no damage and no subs... Yes... That feeling...

Offline Rukifellth

• i'm a llama.
  • Respect: +20
Re: How to include Graham in the story?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:15 AM »
I dunno about his using the Castle's Chaos.

In my opinion, he would serve as a higher ranked version to Dario and Dmitri. He would fight like in Aria, and would be a good warm up to the coming fight against Dracula himself. Ofcourse, his final form could also use some moves taken from Dracula's final boss form from Sotn.

Otherwise, I have no idea what his arena could be. If Julius will not be fought as a boss, why not the floating garden?

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
+1
imho, Graham at most should only be a survival only boss if at that.

We got enough story atm. Hell... we don't have most of the stories ready for people already existing in the current build of the game.
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline hellwolf7

• too lazy to write
  • Respect: -49
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
imho, Graham at most should only be a survival only boss
that would be nice

Offline Khaladar

• Yami kaeru!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
In my opinion, he would serve as a higher ranked version to Dario and Dmitri.

Seems unlikely, given his personality. Graham was rather desperate when he found out there are other living candidates to Drac's throne (which abolished his belief of being the Dark Lord himself, and not a mere candidate to his powers), so it would be only logical for him to try to kill others aspiring to gain that power. He was a rather feeble-willed person, unable to control his negative emotions and plan things thoroughly (his attempt to kill Yoko was also an act of desperation at this point), happened to underestimate others just because, at first glance, they didn't seem like a threat to his goals, and he himself suffered from delusions of grandeur which would often cloud his judgment of any given situation. So, all things considered, he wouldn't survive in a world where all Belmonts, Soma, Drac's servants and Dracula himself are thrown together.

But hey, let's not cross him out of the story just yet - In fact, he might be a pretty nice addition. Encounter/strenght-wise, I imagine him to be on par or just above Dario's and Dmitri's tier. Now, for the story itself, I can see it happen in two ways:
    Now, he either had to end up in Uber Drac's realm while entering the Solar Eclipse (effectively making him "enter" UD's castle right when he attempted to enter the one sealed in the solar eclipse in his own world, a scenario I won't really focus on too much), or just before reaching the castle's throne room, true to the events from 2035.
[The latter scenario resulting in him knowing Soma and how much of a threat he was, but never actually fighting him, while the former would result in him and Soma never meeting at all. (Thus, his demeanor being completely different, staying calm and collected, still believing that he's the one and only Dark Lord.)]

With that second scenario in mind, Graham would be desperate to become the Dark Lord, so much that he'd fight anyone who stands in his way, no matter who they were. He would recognize Soma (and perhaps Julius, but since Alucard was in his "Arikado" disguise at this time, he'd stay unnoticed, unless Graham could sense his "vampiric nature" and assume they were the same person if Alucard [the player] actually meets him during the story.), and a special dialogue would commence. Any other character Graham'd have to fight would just cause him to utter his regular "aim for the throne" lines ("I can't remain here any longer. I must get to the throne! You cannot stop me, no one can! I AM Dracula! I shall reclaim what is rightfully mine!!" - this being a modified AoS quote, serves as a good example). So basically, Graham would never notice that he ended up in a completely different realm, thinking that it's just a "test" he has to pass before the Castle allows him to finally claim the throne.

But, if he was to finally end up in the throne room (the Uber Drac's one, of course), he'd see that there's already someone else. And, much to his dismay, that'd be no one else than the Dark Lord himself. Now, Graham could possibly act in two different ways here.
First option - he'd confront Dracula, still believing that this is the Castle's "final test" and that defeating this apparition would finally allow him to reign.
Second option - Graham, quickly putting two and two together, would realize that something's gone terribly wrong and he's "not in Kansas anymore" - and that he's standing before the real Dark Lord. ("But his TRUE castle exists somewhere else." - Another quote from AoS, Graham was aware that the castle sealed in the solar eclipse's not the only one. This is where his worst nightmare becomes reality.) Then, out of fear, he would pledge his loyalty to Dracula (thus allowing for a completely different story, where the player has to fight Graham as Dracula's servant).

In fact, I consider Graham Jones a really underrated character. Why, Serio's CV Fighter is the only thing where'd he fit at the moment (given his fighting-oriented, undeveloped story, the fact that he only appeared in one game AND that he's dead in the current timeline). What happens to Graham is of course entirely up to you, but leaving this completely functional villain out of the story feels like a waste.

TL;DR - Graham can still kick some ass.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:03:57 AM by Khaladar »

You have my whip.

Offline Rukifellth

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
He should defenitely come from a time "after" he stabbed Yoko, since Soma would be from or after Dawn of Sorrow they would both recognise each other as a threat.

But about him trying to take the throne, what if you encounter him on his way up to the throne like Khaladar said, but when defeated, he is banished back to the Eclipse from Aria of Sorrow? His defeat here would make him even more desperate to succeed and trigger his axe crazy behaviour as seen before the final battle.

Otherwise, recounting my earlier thoughts about him he could probably use 1st Dracula's moves from Harmony of Despair mixed with his Magma Ball spam from his Aria 2nd form, and after depleting his lifebar, change into his final form from Aria.

Offline rasgar

• Who of you can say?
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
I think that Graham could possibly be a decent addition to the story. Gameplay-wise, however, he's almost exactly like basic Dracula, and I think that's a big part of what's keeping him out (that and the fact that someone needs to redo his sprites). This could make him a survival-only boss like The Creature, but that cuts out all story relevance he could've had.

But, if he was to finally end up in the throne room (the Uber Drac's one, of course), he'd see that there's already someone else. And, much to his dismay, that'd be no one else than the Dark Lord himself. Now, Graham could possibly act in two different ways here.
First option - he'd confront Dracula, still believing that this is the Castle's "final test" and that defeating this apparition would finally allow him to reign.
Second option - Graham, quickly putting two and two together, would realize that something's gone terribly wrong and he's "not in Kansas anymore" - and that he's standing before the real Dark Lord. ("But his TRUE castle exists somewhere else." - Another quote from AoS, Graham was aware that the castle sealed in the solar eclipse's not the only one. This is where his worst nightmare becomes reality.) Then, out of fear, he would pledge his loyalty to Dracula

None of that would ever happen unless Graham was a playable character, which I doubt would happen. Unless you mean that he would explain all that happening in the background when you encounter him, which seems somewhat cumbersome.

Otherwise, recounting my earlier thoughts about him he could probably use 1st Dracula's moves from Harmony of Despair mixed with his Magma Ball spam from his Aria 2nd form, and after depleting his lifebar, change into his final form from Aria.

I see Graham appearing early in the game, and I feel that he should stick to his first form - changing forms would make him seem too final-boss-ish. And rather than swiping moves from Dracula (his similarities to Drac are already what's keeping him out), he could instead use the moves he already has (hellfire, 2 patters of magma balls) plus his lightning generator from his second form.

Offline Khaladar

• Yami kaeru!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »
None of that would ever happen unless Graham was a playable character, which I doubt would happen. Unless you mean that he would explain all that happening in the background when you encounter him, which seems somewhat cumbersome.

That is precisely what I wanted to do - present another option, where Graham is merely a servant, and justify it with that wall of text you pointed out to be irrelevant to my former suggestion (and rightfully so). Anyway, his abilities do indeed seem a lot like those of Drac's (well, no wonder!), but that doesn't mean he cannot use something different instead. As fos his second form, maybe that should be the one he should appear in? (plus that ring of skulls which follows the player around.) It's at least a bit less similar to what's already in CVF. Still, I can agree that he'd be a pretty easy boss. Unless he'd move a lot in that second form, all his moves would be pretty easy to dodge (not that he has anything else to use except his "hands".)

Either way, if Graham's ever to be added, there's also a  thread with movelist suggestions (and coming up with some original moves for Graham wouldn't be too much of a problem now, would it?).

= not necessarily a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:44:22 PM by Khaladar »

You have my whip.

Offline ThePlotTwist

• gold member
  • My eyes can see everything.
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »
I see Graham appearing early in the game, and I feel that he should stick to his first form - changing forms would make him seem too final-boss-ish. And rather than swiping moves from Dracula (his similarities to Drac are already what's keeping him out), he could instead use the moves he already has (hellfire, 2 patters of magma balls) plus his lightning generator from his second form.

Well, you see...
Graham is one of the dark lord candidates. By what we saw already, the dark lord candidates possess specific parts of Dracula's power (Dario possessed fire powers and Dmitri, copying abilities). Graham possessed what? Fire power...?? So, he had the same thing as Dario...? Although that's how it worked on Aria (because I slightly believe Konami is not taking Serio's game canonically xD), I think we could provide an explanation to that here, on a golden chance.

I think that we could say that, Graham got the fire powers, but his Dracula part was always Dracula's aversion to religion/morphing powers. Allow me to ellaborate: Graham is able to transform. Dracula could do that. Into what does Graham turn? Into a freakin' twisted mockup for an angel (which seems like "corruption of holyness" if you ask me). So, I think Graham's inherited power is the morphing ability. Now, from where did the fire power come from??

EDIT HERE: I'm fully aware that Dario came after Graham, and thus, the original fire owner must've been Graham, but still~

Remember what happens when a candidate tries to use power that's not his? He breaks. Either turns mad or dies, or both. Dmitri displayed this very shockingly, and Graham displayed it too... Although on Aria it looks like "becoming crazy" was his nature, I always though it was too abrupt. I mean, in one moment he was that collected, smart man. The next (after a HUGE chunk of no-cutscene playing) he's already a crazy cook. We don't see a *clear* explanation, asides some lines from characters who seem to have met Graham, for why his fall into crazyness. So, why not explore this on this game? Why not say that he *obtained* his fire power on Uber Dimension, while Aria happened? He could have been transported to Uber Dimension while trying to breach through the Dark Gate on Floating Gardens. Why couldn't Soma do it? Because (besides the "you need to realize you're Dracula" thing, which seems kinda farfetched seeing as Dracula's soul is there, you knowing or not) there is already a Soma from the same timeline on Uber Dimension, thus prompting the Dark Gate to avoid a paradox by not allowing Aria Soma to enter it (This doesn't apply to other characters since this can be a property of the Dark Gate only).

One thing I'd like to point out about Graham. Remember how he displays a level of madness only after he acquires a red aura and teleporting powers?

So, how did Graham get the fire powers?
IF Graham is playable, this can be explained as "Graham killed Uber Dracula, and, by being a part of Dracula himself, he got *acknowledged* as a candidate for the position of dark lord (again!) and inherited one more power by Dracula's shattered soul, carrying it back to Main Dimension, and strenghtening his belief he's the true Dracula (and progressively destroying his mind), or "Uber Dimension, being the main dimension affected by Uber Dracula's leaking power, allowed Graham do bid part of it on his own, while there, allowing him to produce fire".;
IF Graham is a boss, he could have gotten the fire ability by being fused with a fire demon, by Shaft or another of Dracula's priests/sorcerers. Celia could do it, why can't they do it too? Shaft can summon demons, much like Celia. He's one good bet. By defeating boss Graham, he wouldn't die, but stay "beaten" (like Stella, Richter and Barlowe do in some stories) because "the hero feels like he can go back to normal, he's only a missionary under Dracula's influence" which is a mistake by the hero's part, prompting the events of Aria.

Playable speaking, I picture Graham like a playable Dmitri. He has a knife too, remember?

EDIT: Slight point here. I'd prefer to think that Graham *gained* the ability to transform, instead of fire power. I mean, he can transform because Uber Dracula's shard granted even more power to him. But only if the "Graham has fire powers, so Dario has fire powers too?" can be sorted out on a creative manner...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:21:38 PM by ThePlotTwist »

Offline Rukifellth

• i'm a llama.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
I dunno about a playable Graham, if Dmitri where to be playable, then "maiby" have him as an alternate colour, but not more than that.

He fits better as a boss, but I like the idea that he only uses his first form but combines it with the laser beam from his second form. :)

Offline Superscope

• gold member
  • Vampire hunter from Australia
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
Well, you see...
Graham is one of the dark lord candidates. By what we saw already, the dark lord candidates possess specific parts of Dracula's power (Dario possessed fire powers and Dmitri, copying abilities). Graham possessed what? Fire power...??

I believe that Graham had Draclua's "Pride" in one word or another..

Think out it. He posessed a throne of his own, and he attacked with a very determined pattern of attacks (Unlike Dario who can be rather random at what he attacks with). When fighting soma... he never attacks soma directly, only with meteors (and then the throne with lasers going everywhere).
"To describe this madness? Give all the bosses steroids, and put them in a line."
"What is a Belmont? A miserable pile of whips and sub-weapons."
"WARNING - Touhou Fanatic - WARNING"
I Make CVF videos!

Offline SomaCruz1998

• Your friendly neighbourhood weaboo.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
I dunno about a playable Graham, if Dmitri where to be playable, then "maiby" have him as an alternate colour, but not more than that.

He fits better as a boss, but I like the idea that he only uses his first form but combines it with the laser beam from his second form. :)
By the way. Am I the only one who finds that Dmitri has the SAME CLOTHES AS GRAHAM?
That feeling you get, when you've just beaten Death Boss Rush in Bloodlines with no damage and no subs... Yes... That feeling...

Offline Vedora-Kingdom

• You fight well...
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
Because of his similarity to Dracula that why he was kept out in old text board like Walter. As I remember, Irrlinchen is spriter who did Graham sprites in old text board, maybe someone could redo that sprites.

I knew from somewhere that Graham is an owner of a new religion and Celia is his ally, that was reason why Celia search for the Dark Lord candidates from people who born in 1999 after Graham die.

Offline hunter x vampire

• i shall bring ligth to the darkness
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
like the idea of graham being a tier 2 boss,but it needs some moves to not make it like Dracula

Offline Malphas

• Lord of the unread.
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
I think Graham, Somacula and Walter all have potential as survival bosses. They all could have a short dracul-esque fight and then they turn into a monster, where the real fun begins.
Dracula: CotM form Drac
Somacula: RoB form Drac
Graham: SotN form Drac (with AoS shape)
Walter: Speedo Drac from Dracula X or from PoR.

All those would have their unique but similar moveset for the first fight.
It's the perfect excuse to recycle all the other Dracula forms from the previous games instead of doing like HoD, where Dracula's true form was not so true since it changed twice.